Small Pleco for warm water??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
harsmann
I've donated: $10.00!
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Small Pleco for warm water??

Post by harsmann »

Hi,

I am looking for an algae-eating pleco that will do well in an 85L/22Gl tank with temperature 28-30°C, pH 7.5, GH 18-20. Any recommendations?

Tank mates will be a pair of rams (hence the high temperature), some peaceful tetras and maybe a small school of C. sterbai.

Thanks,
Allan
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

A pair of common Bristlenoses (Ancistrus species) would do. They're very adaptable and easily bred.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
harsmann

Post by harsmann »

A pair of bristlenoses would be fun, I am just worried about the temperature.

The bristlenoses I can get in my area are problably Ancistrus sp(3) (but sold as A. dolichopterus). According to the Cat-elog they prefer the temperature range 22-24° (though I have seen both 23-27° and 23-29°C in other references).

I have a bristlenose in another tank - I could start by moving her over to see how she manages. It would be fun getting a date for her.

- Allan
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Common ancistrus will do perfectly, and breed enthusiastically, at that temperature. No worries.

Other commonly available options include the smaller Otocinclus and Parotocinclus-species, although especially the otos are considerably more sensitive and harder to keep alive (never mind breed!) than common ancistrus.
harsmann

Post by harsmann »

Then couple of bristlenoses it shall be.

They will, in fact, be replacing some otos that never really thrived in the tank.

Thanks for the tips.

Allan

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”