L162?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Azmeaiel
Location 1: australia

L162?

Post by Azmeaiel »

I ordered a fish and was expecting a l162.

it looks a little different to the pics in the cat-elog

there were two in the tank, a female with very black/white markings and this fellow with light yellow/black. He is stressed and a little dark in the photo.
gemjunkie
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane WA

Post by gemjunkie »

Can you get a bit clearer pic? Looks like a L199 to me...
gemjunkie
The Crazy Fish Chick in Spokane WA
http://gemjunkiesbettas.freeservers.com
Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel »

here is one a few hours later. Unfortunatley not much better as he is very skittish.

Will upload something better when I get a clear shot.

thanks for the suggestion, will look it up.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

If the origin is Colombia it's L52 and if it was exported from Brasil L168, they can be hard to distinguish at small sizes.

Janne
gemjunkie
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane WA

Post by gemjunkie »

With the new pic, I'd have to agree with the L52 rather than L199. I've had both but I am FAR from an expert.
gemjunkie
The Crazy Fish Chick in Spokane WA
http://gemjunkiesbettas.freeservers.com
Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel »

Thankyou. I would guess from the images it is the L168 (also a recent import into Aus), all the individuals I have seen come in seem to have the more regular stripes of these . thanks for the help.
fishiechris
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Buckingham
Location 2: Buckingham
Interests: Fishkeeping, swimming, cricket

Post by fishiechris »

not a leopard frog pleco is it?
Setting up rift tanks now. Nice synos a maybe
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

My guess is L52. Check out this thread for some really good comments from Shane.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... light=l168

A boy and a girl - sure hope you bought them both!

Cheers
Steve
Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel »

I am still wondering about the pekolita pulcher sp? ref from the wholesaler. the image of the fish was righ, the common name wrong, has this scientific name been changed?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I am still wondering about the pekolita pulcher sp? ref from the wholesaler.
For reasons I will never understand, P. pulcher is used by exporters throughout South America to basically identfy any small loricariid with stripes.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Tbe label "Peckoltia pulcher" is no longer valid, the new name is "Dekeyseria pulcher", which is obviously a relative of the L52/L168. Cat-eLog doesn't have an entry for Dekeyseria pulcher - I don't know why, perhaps they are not common in the trade.

Edit: I just saw Shane's explanation - and his explanation is probably better than mine - I also agree that they should not call everything with stripes P. pulcher...

--
Mats
Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel »

It would explain how they got them through customs (read the thread provided) Thanks for the info. Its very confusing how we have several different fish under this name and also labelled 'clown pleco'. From what I have seen, some are panaque maccus, some L52/L168 and some others are an odd brown fish (these are the first I saw labelled as clown pleco) with very thin if any stripes.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Clown pleco SHOULD be , but some similar species (such as are also (almost correctly) labeled clown pleco. I've bought two in local shop, they were also labeled Clown pleco - which is obviously NOT correct.

And I think in Australia it's even more likely to be confused, because a fish that is not too distant in looks, can be renamed to one that is allowed for import. This is obviously breaking the law in detail, but I suppose you could see it as "bending the law" at least if we look at different species of Dekeyseria that are quite likely that they are all the same level of threat to the environment, whether they come from Brazil or Colombia...

--
Mats

Return to “What is my catfish?”