Recent imports to Australia. LDA68/L104

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Recent imports to Australia. LDA68/L104

Post by ndoboi »

Hi all,
Thought I better move this thread over here so I dont totally hijack the L168 topic 8)

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=15155

Thanks again Shane for your insight to the export location of the catties that have been sent over here.

My next questions -
What can people tell me about the LDA68? Have they been tank bred before? Will they be similar in triggering to the L104 or do they need anything different to get them in the mood? Are there any noticable biotype differences between the two?

Here's a couple of pics that I have posted previously:

Cheers
Steve
Waldo
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

Look similar to Bola pleco. I've got no idea about those guy's good luck finding info on them.
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
ndoboi

Post by ndoboi »

Thanks Waldo, I havent heard of the Bola Pl*co before. These guys are only 7-8cm.

Cheers
Steve
Waldo
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

I'm by far no expert so don't listen to me on the ID. I was just saying they are two very similar plecos.

Best of luck though. Sorry to hear about the loss.
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'd say pretty surely that this is a Panaque species, but the colours are less distinct (more blurred and less contrasty) than .

may be an option, but I'm by far not sure about it.

--
Mats
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

I think these were previously identified as LDA68 here. The question is what we know about them. The common name for these is apparently Giant Clown Pleco. I don't think they get big enough to be called giant but my one is certainly outgrowing the P. maccus it was mixed in with. It is also far more aggressive and likes to dig its own caves under driftwood rather than use the ones Iâ??ve provided. All this is obviously based on only a single individual so might not be typical for the species. Anyone got any experience with these? Lots of people must have them. Every time I look at a shipment of P. maccus at my local shop it is at least 50% LDA68. The reticulated pattern on the head and the generally paler colour are a real giveaway once you know what to look for.
ndoboi

Post by ndoboi »

Giving this one a *bump*
Surely there are more LDA68s being kept out there?? C'mon people, please share your experiences with them so we can all learn a little bit more :)

Thanks Panaque - my group are starting to use the caves I have provided but generally hide upside down in the wood for most of the time. They seem to be much more nocturnal than the L104 and are rarely seen during the day. Not as keen on vegies either. Has anyone else experienced this? They seem to be putting on condition on a diet of wood and shrimp pellets (although I still put in some pleco wafers every couple of days in the hope they'll graze on them).

Cheers
Steve
Kimbo88
Location 1: Perth, Australia

Post by Kimbo88 »

Hey mate i was just wondering were you managed to find LDA68 in Aus?
ndoboi

Post by ndoboi »

G'day Kimbo.
They snuck in with the original shipment of L168s and were then mismatched as L104. Picked them up in Brissy.

Cheers
Steve
nivola
Location 1: perth western australia

Post by nivola »

hi guys

well im lucky enough to have 5 L104s but there does seem to be something interesting with my guys that I never see! (except with the tourch light on) What i have noticed is that two of them sort of look like those photos but they hold the same color but there is a hint of the strips. the two (i think males) are fully striped and colored nicely.

photos will never happern because they hide to much.
Azmeaiel
Location 1: australia

Post by Azmeaiel »

A few turned up down in tassie as well. I didnt get any as I was expecting something 'better looking'. the fish they got in the next time was nothing like it.
ndoboi

Post by ndoboi »

Yeah, it's gotten pretty crazy over here with mixed bag shipments slipping through. I've made sure that mine are kept separate from my L104s so there will be no accidents.

Totally different diets is the biggest thing i've noticed between the two.

They're not as good looking as the L104 but are pretty cool for us L# starved aussies!! Wouldnt think there'd be too many down Tassie way??

Cheers
Steve
Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel »

Sad thing they are calling them Clown pleco 'L162' when they are more likley the the Butterfly Pleco 'L168'. So I bought one expecting a Clown and most likley got a Butterfly (Was just getting it id'd in the what catfish is that section) A much more attractive fish though so I am not concerned. The first shipment was the fish you have though. Its interesting to find some oddities getting through. strangly we get a lot of nice plecs down here. there are a few dedicated lps that will stock some good exotics. The one I go to is dedicated to them.
ndoboi

Post by ndoboi »

Sounds like the hobby is in a good way down there :cheers: Do you get to see many oddities? Just wondering how they go for price...

I haven't seen any advertised up this way as L162.

Cheers
Steve
Azmeaiel

Post by Azmeaiel »

mine was $50 for a 7cm

they get them through this place which sends in a lot of good but unfortunatley Mis-named L numbers

http://www.bayfish.com.au/category8_1.htm

we also get run of the mill gibbys, gold spots, peppermint, snowball, albino BN, gold pleco and commons.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”