Snail-eating corys?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
harsmann
I've donated: $10.00!
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Snail-eating corys?

Post by harsmann »

Hi,

I don't think I have ever seen corys on the list of snail eating fish. But will they eat small snails?

I have a planted community tank with platys, silver-tipped tetras, a common bristlenose and six C. trilineatus. There are a some small snails in the tank, but very few grow big. When I clean the gravel I often find small, empty snail shells.

Three weeks ago I moved some plants from this tank into a second planted tank that is stocked with otos, pencilfish and a pair of rams. The second tank was previously snail free (I used to have kuhli loaches in there as well), but now it has more grown-up snails than the first tank, although the transferred plants can only have carried snail eggs.

Both tanks have pH at ~7.5. In the first tank I ususally feed flakes and tablets for the corys, in the second tank I feed white mosquito larvae. From that I would expect more snails in the first tank, so I guess somefish are eating the snails.

The platys and tetras mostly eat at the surface, so is it the bristlenose or the corys that take the snails?

Thanks,
Allan

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”