banjo cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
scotter
Location 1: USA

banjo cat

Post by scotter »

I have come accross a Banjo cat for sale at my LFS and am facinated with the prehistoric look of the critter. I am currently looking for a few speices that will mature to a very large size for use in my big aquarium that will be installed later this year. The guy at the LFS said that the Banjo would grow to 18", the cat-e-log says only 6". does anyone have any experiance with this fish? If he will get big I would like to buy him before someone else does.
Planning a 156"x48"x42" tank ....
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

There are some species that can grow long but the typical banjo you find at your LFS will only get up to 6" if that. You do not say what fish you are using in your large aquarium but not too much messes with a banjo and if they do it will bury himself. I have one that is probably around 13 years old or more and a couple more 4-5 years old. They don't do much but sit around. Just about everyone who sees them thinks they're ugly but I still like them.
scotter
Location 1: USA

Post by scotter »

I have one mirror carp and definately want at least one flash zebra (Brachyplatystoma juruense). This is going to be a very large tank and I would prefer to have just few very large specimins as oppossed to a large cummunity tank. A six inch fish is smaller than I was looking for but if the others will leave him alone I think I would like to have the banjo, it has a very distinct look that appeals to me.

I am open to suggestions for tankmates for my single mirror carp and the zebra.
Planning a 156"x48"x42" tank ....
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Strange mix of fish you have planned :lol:
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Strange mix of fish you have planned

Indeed.

I think you you may struggle to keep the nitrates down to an acceptable level for the pim with a mirror carp in there.

I would find an outdoor pond for the carp (if that's legal in your state), and add some smaller more suitable fish for the pim's tank.
The Stig
Location 1: Doncaster, UK.
Interests: Fish, biking.

Post by The Stig »

The banjo will only stay relatively small at about 6inch.

Carl.
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
1 Marbled Cambodian Whipray.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

i dony know how big they get but i got 1 a week ago and he died the 3rd day.the guy said that he could live in a 75degrease tank and i looked up on the internet after it died and it said it could only live in 68-70degrease tank.so ask the guy all u can about it or it might die
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

sig: -
Planning a 156"x48"x42" tank
Sounds like a system to envy that you are planning.

However I take it that you will fully research the fish you would want to house in such a tank as to compatibility, maybe you should look around for fish that will co-habit 'peacefully' Also some people set out with good intentions as to up-grading to a larger aquaria, but for varied reasons can not up-grade! Usually these people are only too willing to move on for either a minimal fee or for free, fish that have outgrown their aquaria, maybe this could be an avenue to look down in the way of obtaining larger type fish
BTW have you read the sticky on big cats in this forum?
big cat sticky
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”