White Spot Plecos.....????

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
3bdesigns
Location 1: Iowa
Interests: horses, dogs, and my fish!

White Spot Plecos.....????

Post by 3bdesigns »

I was at my local fishy store (I found a new one that has HUNDREDS of tanks of nifty fishies). Anyway....I bought these two plecos, which they idenified one as a "Flat Head White Spot Pleco" and the other as a "White Spot Pleco".

I'll get pictures posted tonight...but....the "flathead" one doesn't look one bit flathead to me. He is black with spots all over (much like a snowball plec)but they are bit yellowed colored, not bright yellow and not white, just a very pale creamy color. He's only 2" long, so much color change could occur....anyone heard of a flathead white spot?

The other guy - now this one has me baffled. They had on the tank it was a White Spot. BUT...he is white with black spots! He has black edges on his fins and his body is a creamy color (not bright white) with black spots all over (again, much like a snowball does). He's like a reverse snowball! :-) He is only about 1.5" long - very much a juvenile...any ideas?
Intravenous
Location 1: Aberdeen or Edinburgh, Scotland

Post by Intravenous »

The black one with white/yellow spots could be a vampire pleco? The spots on mine are slightly yellow. Look at the cat-elog pictures of them.

There are lots of black plecos with white spots so really it could be any and people will find it hard to say until you have pictures.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Intravenous: Yup, even with pictures, it's hard to say.

The white with black spots: Is that really WHITE or sort of a gray base? comes to mind... Which of course is a close relation to the Vampire pleco:

--
Mats
3bdesigns
Location 1: Iowa
Interests: horses, dogs, and my fish!

Post by 3bdesigns »

I'll get you guys pictures for sure - I think the ones I took last night are pretty good as far as color goes (especially for the black guy with spots).

For the white guy with spots - he is more of a cream - not grey at all. He's a weirdo. I have never seen anything like him.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

This, perhaps ?

I don't know what they look like at young age...

--
Mats
smithrc
My images: 5
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Milton Keynes - UK

Post by smithrc »

from the flat black with white spots... Flyer Pleco jumps in to tmy mind...

L235 ;)
Our Plecs...
L014 - L024 - L046 - L075 - L088 - L106 - L114 - L142 - L183 - L400 - LDA25 - GSD

Return to “What is my catfish?”