Vampire pleco or angelicus pleco?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Connie
Location 1: Illinois

Vampire pleco or angelicus pleco?

Post by Connie »

Saw my lfs had a tank lableled vamprire plecos the other day when I went to buy him he was gone.
So the owner which isnt very pleco illiterate called to order more and she said they have angelicus plecos instead I said that would be fine as they are smaller.
How do I ID this guy for sure?
Here is a picture of him still in his bag in the tank.

Thanks,
ConnieImage
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

That looks like L007/L029 (they're the same fish). Leproacanthicus galaxias is called the vampire pleco because of the large "fang" like tooth that can sometimes be seen protruding from the fish's mouth.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I like either one if it is a angelicus I have a smaller tank for him if it is the vampire I have a 125 gallon he will look nice in when full grown.
Connie
Connie

Post by Connie »

He has the tusks like the vampire but alot of my plecos have this which is just two long pieces of skin. he has a very long mouth alot differnt then the plecos I own.
I got him for $27 I think a great deal considering I see them going for $60 on the net.
He is a Q tank with a red fin cactus pleco.
He is also in with a snail the size of a baseball, I see they like to eat snails will he bother such a large snail?
Connie
LiSCN
Location 1: Buffalo Grove, IL

Post by LiSCN »

hey .. did that happen to be petland by any chance? .. if not where?
Connie

Post by Connie »

A small local fishstore in Northern Illinois her newest thing seems to be to carry odd pleco which I love!!, I have never bought fish from Petland.
Connie
Connie

Post by Connie »

Do you know where Harvard Illinois is?
Connie
LiSCN

Post by LiSCN »

Connie wrote:Do you know where Harvard Illinois is?
Connie
yes i do ... the reason i ask is because i am dying want of a vampire pleco for a good price :cry:
Connie

Post by Connie »

She said she usually keeps them in stock but she got the shipment in today and there was only the one which I told her I was going to buy.
I can ask her.
The place is called Pet Paradise.
Connie
LiSCN

Post by LiSCN »

that would be very cool if you could ask her .. i would hate to travel 1hour+ to find out they don't have any in stock .. thanks :)
Connie

Post by Connie »

Not a problem, feel free to email me
Connie
Connie

Post by Connie »

I guess I dont know how to read, can this thread be moved to What is my catfish?
Sorry about that
Connie
LiSCN

Post by LiSCN »

hey .. i was gonna email you but you don't have you email address posted :( .. anyhow .. did you get a chance to see if pet paradise is going to be getting any more vampires for that price? :D
Connie

Post by Connie »

I will call tomorrow the ownner wasent there today, If anything I know they go fast when she gets them, any ideas if you could get out here on Thursday? She gets her shipment in around 2:00pm, if not I could pick him up for you and stick him in my Q tank.
Connie
Connie

Post by Connie »

my email addy is connigirl76@yahoo.com
BTW does anyone know what a Hong Kong pleco looks like?
Does it have an L #?
Connie
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Hillstream Loach.
Connie

Post by Connie »

thank you, are they an actual loach or catfish? never cared for them much as I have seen them in petshops before.
Connie
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They are balitorid loaches. Not catfish. Depending on the genus, they are either from Borneo, or from southern China.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Connie wrote:my email addy is connigirl76@yahoo.com
BTW does anyone know what a Hong Kong pl*co looks like?
Does it have an L #?
Connie
Connie,

Every now and again I wade into a post with my moderator hat on. In this post you have posted personally in a way that would have been much better accomplished via private messages. See code of conduct - we are trying to keep trivial or uncessesary posting to a minimum.

Additionally, your email address is stored under the email button - you don't need to post it. Hong kong plecos ain't catfish as Silurus has explained. Asking what they look like is going to take this way off topic, if you really need to, post a new topic in the speak easy. But a simple search on google.com will turn up loads of pictures of them.

As these fish are loaches and not catfish they aren't going to have an L-number.

I'm not picking on you, its just bad luck this one caught my eye :-), but I do want to try and keep things things under control.

Jools
Connie

Post by Connie »

Jools not arguing with you but I asked if a Hong Kong pleco had an L-# before I was told it was a hillstream loach, since it is called both a loach and a pleco after I was told it was a hillstream loach I then asked which one it was, that was all.
Sorry to get things off topic wont happen again.
I know of other loach forums and would not get on a loach topic here.
Connie
LiSCN

Post by LiSCN »

Jools wrote: Additionally, your email address is stored under the email button - you don't need to post it.
you are quite wrong about that .. YOU maybe able to see it due to the fact that your an admin .. but us normal peons cannot access is ;)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I'm afraid you are mistaken instead. If you look just below Connie's post (and not in the profile), there is an email button that everyone can see regardless of whether or not you're an admin (or a moderator).

Return to “What is my catfish?”