oversexed delicate whiptail?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
garyfromaus
Location 1: south of adelaide sa

oversexed delicate whiptail?

Post by garyfromaus »

it is a 48x18x18 tank in this tank I have 1 male and 2 female cats the poor male is on his 4th set of eggs in 4 weeks....can he feed whilst incubating the eggs or will he expire (putting it in a nice way) from not feeding ?, the last batch of eggs hatched yestyerday, and he is already on a new batch....please help, it took a long time to get this far, now its outa control. They also choose to spawn on the glass of the aquarium despite several logs/caves available any help is appreciated....oh n btw I have live babys in the tank,so the male is viable, and they are on their own in the tank
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

Most fish can go several weeks on little or no food. If I understand you correctly, and you've nothing else in the tank, why not place something to eat right at his door step. If nothing else, he may have a nibble at night.
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

my male will often leave his eggs to feed, especially at night. I don't think it would be a problem. If you are really worried, you could maybe reduce the current in the tank to stop them from breeding (at least mine stop breeding if I take the powerhead out of their tank).

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”