My Vampire (again)...the meat eater

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Intravenous
Location 1: Aberdeen or Edinburgh, Scotland

My Vampire (again)...the meat eater

Post by Intravenous »

When I bought my Vampire at the shop, I was told that he would need a lot of algae...I took this semi-seriously as I already knew that he was omnivorous. I never saw him eat in my tank: I left sweet potato, zuchinni, algae wafers and the only thing out of those that might have been touched is the algae wafers (its hard to tell because they go soft and its easy for my other fish to pick at them). He does occasionally gnaw on his wood, and devour a few snails when he feels like it, but by far his favorite food is prawn (the only thing I've seen him eat).

What other meat can I try him with? I have bought some squid rings and cooked mussel (nothing added to them), would these be ok for him? Do you think hed like a tiny bit of cooked, or raw, fish? Or would this pollute the tank too much?
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

As you have discovered, these fish are largely carnivorous.

They are not able to eat any algae at all - look at their teeth.

I feed my L.joselimai shrimp, cockle, bloodworm, tetra prima, algae wafer (mainly made of fishmeal - very little algae!). He won't touch vegetables, with the exception of tinned broad beans which he adores.

Although they are mainly carnivores, it is important to make sure they get some fibre, as they can suffer from intestinal problems in the aquarium. Broad beans are the best food for this i've found.

I would avoid fish, because as you say, there is a strong risk of polluting the tank.
Intravenous
Location 1: Aberdeen or Edinburgh, Scotland

Post by Intravenous »

would the squid ring and cooked mussel be ok for him? I don't think these would pollute the water.

How do you feed the shrimp and bloodworm? Also, maybe this is being stupid, but would cricket do him any harm? I think they're rich in protein :? ?

I shall look out for some broad beans next time I'm at the supermarket :D
StiffMeister
Location 1: North of the Netherlands
Interests: duh....

Post by StiffMeister »

try feeding him shrimp. I buy the pink shrimp in the supermarket and my vamp loves it! he also eats algue wafers though and in fact most i throw in except cucumber and paprika etc. You can also buy these shrimps as your lfs in bigger packages and way cheaper.
racoll

Post by racoll »

would the squid ring and cooked mussel be ok for him?
Mussel yes, but I think squid may be too chewy. Try it though.

With these meaty foods remember to look for and remove any uneaten stuff within 12 hours.
How do you feed the shrimp and bloodworm?
You buy it in the LFS in frozen cubes, and you drop a cube (or less - depending on how many fish you have) into a pot or jar with some tank water, wait for it to defrost, and tip it in the tank. I use a pipette to squirt it in certain areas so everyone gets some.
Also, maybe this is being stupid, but would cricket do him any harm?
No it won't. I tried them once, but the fish weren't really interested in them.
grandhorn
Location 1: Arizona
Location 2: Fort Mohave, Arizona

Post by grandhorn »

I have fed mine a mix. Every 3rd day they receive either frozen krill, mysis shrimp, or bloodworms. Daily regimen is Tetra tablets and flake mix. Zucchini is offered every day in the tank as well as pleco wafers but they hate them. My girl "Vampira" has gone from 2.5 inches to 5 inches in about a year and rules the tank with an iron tail!
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

I did a quick search to see what "broad beans" are (sorry, I speak American..hehe), and it looks like they're what we call fava beans. Assuming I'm right, would lima beans also be a good equivalent?
racoll

Post by racoll »

According to this, broad and fava beans are the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fava_bean

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”