Corys mixed with Malawians?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Corys mixed with Malawians?

Post by Jackster »

I tried to explain to someone on another forum that mixing corys with Malawian fish
was a bad idea. Am I way off base or would the cory experts here agree with me?
Please post your experiences and opinions whether you agree or disagree because I do
not want to give out misinformation. My personal experience with corys and Malawians
resulted in dead corys and I feel that mixing them with any Africans is cruel.
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

True. Besides the fact that the water quality must be different for South American fish, the Lake c******s will certainly nip fins, chase the cories and eventually kill them by doing so. Imo this is no combination and should be avoided.
That "someone" should get some Lake synos; these are very good company for the Malawis.
(Btw: I take it you mean c******s when you're talking about Malawian fish)
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

That's what I thought and yes I did mean Malawian cichlids it's just that I stopped typing
cichlids because the system here always changes it to astericks. I aready mentioned
Synodontis multipunctatus but the original poster said he had a 3 ft tank so I felt it was
a little small. In fact that is what my problem was with the guy who said that corys were
good companions for Malawians because he was comparing his experience with larger
aquariums (55 & 75) to the person withthe 3 ft tank. I've been raising Africans for 16 years
and I know that they behave much differently in smaller tanks. I just gave a pair of wild peacocks
to a friend with a 125 gallon. The male was very aggressive towards everything in my 55
and now it's like he is a different fish and is getting along well with all his tank mates.
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
Freyr
Location 1: Oak Park, IL
Interests: Fish, of course of course

Post by Freyr »

If Synodontis multipunctatus is too big for the poster's tank I would recommend a couple of the dwarf strain of Syno. Petricola. Only gets about 3 in., if I remember correctly. Also won't cuckoo breed and eat all the Malawian eggs like multi's would :) .
oman
Location 1: Florida

Post by oman »

cichlids
George
Location 1: Reston, Virginia
Interests: fish

Post by George »

Two things - agreed, petricolas don't do the multi/cuckoo thing. They look like multis but that's it. At least that is what I have read and been told. I may have been mislead.

I have also had contact with a fish head on another forum who wondered if it was normal for corys to burrow into the sand/gravel. After several posts it turned out the lone cory was in a tank with multiple Malawian and Tanganyikan Cichlids. This is what I call an idiot - not the cory of course.

It took tremendous restraint not to tell the idiot he was and continues to be an idiot.

George

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”