Is my Lima Shovelnose retarded?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
LimaShovel
Location 1: New Caney Texas
Interests: FISH

Is my Lima Shovelnose retarded?

Post by LimaShovel »

Is my Lima shovelnose stupid. I bought 20 feeder fish and it dont eat them. Now i had it for 6 months and it only eats flakes how come? And do you know how to make it eat feeder fish.
[img]http://lima%20Shovelnose2.JPEG[/img]
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

First of all, if you have a shovelnose that takes prepared foods then you should be happy as that is a very hard accomplishment. I would try giving him shrimp pellets, krill, bloodworms as well.

Second, if it eats prepared foods then why the hell do you care if it eats live feeder fish. Feeder fish is a pain in the butt,can be a source of disease, and can get stuck in throat and suffocate fish.

To answer your question you may feeding too large of feeder fish for their mouth and/or they are getting enough food from the other food you are feeding so why waste all of their energy chasing a meal. He is not retarded, more smart than all of mine who will only eat live fish.
LimaShovel

Ok

Post by LimaShovel »

I guess its good and the feeder fish cost to much any way. thanks for your reply
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I understand the fascination of a piscivore that shows natural behaviour...
A big catfish chasing and eating small fish is a really cool thing to see; I remember a video shot by Marc (or by someone else, but it was about his shovelnose collection); great vieuwing.
but indeed, a shovelnose that feeds on flake is an easy one.

you might seduce him back to guppies or so; but don't be surprised if he suddenly stops eating flake!
Valar Morghulis
LimaShovel

Post by LimaShovel »

Where did you see the shovelnose collection
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

It's in my private video collection and was shot for a lecture on Catfish in Amsterdam.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

YEAH

"getting all misty eyed on the salad days again"

it WAS pretty cool, though.
maybe pick it up where we dropped it?
I know a certain fishclub where a serious dose of catfishkeepers-info is in short order!

:wink:
Valar Morghulis
SorubimLima
Location 1: Indiana
Interests: Shovelnoses

Post by SorubimLima »

Wow, you are lucky! I can't even get my lima to eat flakes, even after a year with him. He might be eating the fish, just under the cover of darkness. SorubimLima
Last edited by SorubimLima on 04 Mar 2006, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Count:2 Sorubims,1 pl*co, 1 twig, 2 pictus, 1 oto, 1 striped raphael, 3 Pygmy Cories
Hayabusa
Location 1: uk

Post by Hayabusa »

Well I think it is very fish specific, I have recently bought two limas (see my post) ,the one eats literaly anything you put in the tank, different frozen foods, flake, lieraly anything that enters the tank he will try and eat it, yet the other one I'm yet to see eat, I "think" he took some flake that went passed him but not sure, but he pretty much ignores everything I try :(
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

Try live black worms...they cant resist :P

You can get them at most fish stores. When you buy them, they look like a pile of sewage, but are actually small worms.
lima_man
Location 1: UK, DERBY

Post by lima_man »

My two lima's love chopped mussel - even though I have to drop it right on there heads otherwise my Red hooks get there first!!
My smaller lima (10") will eat JMC catfish pellets when he's hungry too.
However they are fussy eaters - mine won't touch lance fish now, yet they loved them before I introduced the mussel!! :roll:
Waldo
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

Just as a side note you might want to read this thread. http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=14508
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”