Question to German catfish lovers about Nordrhein-Westfalen

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Question to German catfish lovers about Nordrhein-Westfalen

Post by Marc van Arc »

Hello,
I'm planning a visit to Raubwelse.de shortly.
However, there's always a possibility that this gets cancelled, and if so I will visit some shops in NRW.
Problem is: where are they? Can't find information on the internet. There must be some LFS-ses (Aquaristik Laden) in Bonn, Köln or Düsseldorf?? I'm specifically looking for Auchenipteridae.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

You may stop worrying as the whole German thing has become academic. Due to a lack of replies, I'll change my course and will visit Belgium instead.
If I had the time and the money I would surely go to Japan (Aquashop True among others); until then I hope I can find some nice fish in Brasschaat, Antwerp & Brussels :wink:
harsmann
I've donated: $10.00!
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by harsmann »

Hi,

Unfortunately I didn't see you post until today, but in case you come by NRW another time, I think Zoo Zajac in Duisburg (30 minutes drive north of Düsseldorf) is worth a visit. They claim to be "Das GR�SSTE ZOOFACHGESCH�FT DER WELT":

http://www.zajac.de/
http://www1-dug.websale.net/$WS/zoo-zaj ... te_wir.htm

(both links are in German)

I haven't been there my self, but I recently saw an add for it in a magazine, and since I visit the area regularly I'll go there at next opportunity.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Marc knows both ZooZajac in Duisburg and Bleccha near Dortmund (in Witten Stockum). I been many times to both as well; I'm also curious about other shops than those two, however.

Zoo Zajac is huge indeed; bigger than most shopping malls in NL :O
but it's mostly food, filters, thingamajigs, you name it. very reasonable prices too. but the fish aren't special, although they have a few oddbals. but not in the catfish selection, it's mostly L-numbers.

Bleccha is a trove of weird fish, but sometimes it's not for years, then suddenly they have weird stuff again, no telling.

Hence his question, I think.....judging to the welse.de sites and others, there must be more stores in Germany with rare catfishes.....
Valar Morghulis
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Marc van Arc wrote: Due to a lack of replies
I've mailed some LFS-ses and they didn't reply (so far). I won't travel the whole day at the risk that a shop may even be closed....
I didn't mean the lack of replies on PC, although I had expected some more input.

Harsmann, thanks for your reply. You'll certainly enjoy your visit to Zajac, especially with regard to the accessories department. It's quite abundant!!
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Marc van Arc wrote:I will visit Belgium instead.
Already got some replies from Belgian LFS-ses. This looks promising. I'll let you know how things have worked out.
Matthias
Location 1: Berlin, Germany

Post by Matthias »

Hello Marc,

I've seen this topic too late.

In case you decide to come to germny another time, take a look at this list:

http://welse.net/POSITIV/SEITEN/aqua_vnw.htm

Most of the shops I don't know, but the first one is very good. If you go to the website you can find pictures of very rare catfish.

Matthias
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Hi Matthias,
I will certainly come to Germany some other time and I will take advantage of your list. It is just what I've been looking for. Thanks a lot/ Recht herzlichen Dank :D
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Surprise, surprise. I got a reply today from Raubwelse.de and it seems it's going to be Germany after all. It'll be quite a trip (800 km), but it'll be worthwhile: Tetranematichthys and several other Auchenipterids will be waiting overthere. And I can tell you this: I won't return empty handed :D .
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

:shock:
Guess your avatar will change in short order then....I can imagine all too well a pair of happy night pranksters (Tetranematicthys) snacking on the Exodons.....

unless they're tiny Tetranematichthys ofcourse. I don't know much about Ageneiosids, but what I DO know is, they're swimming mouths.....everything half their length and not highbuilt is fair game
:shock:

A much cooler fish than Exodon however. Characins are very nice, but catfishes -especially such rare weird ones- win handsdown!

happy hunting! :wink:
Valar Morghulis
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

sidguppy wrote::shock:
Guess your avatar will change in short order then....I can imagine all too well a pair of happy night pranksters (Tetranematicthys) snacking on the Exodons.....
Well, I wonder. My population has decreased a lot since last October (just 28 fishes, of which 16 characins ). Thus giving the Exodons a great opportunity to grow. The smallest is around 9 cms.
The Tetranematichthys is said to be around 15 cms, which is almost full grown according to the books.
Btw: it's one specimen; it's still the same situation as last summer.... except for the larger Exodons
sidguppy wrote: I don't know much about Ageneiosids, but what I DO know is, they're swimming mouths.....everything half their length and not highbuilt is fair game

I used to have three A. magoi and you're right: they ate everything that fitted their mouth.
So they're not in the picture ( but I'm very happy he doesn't have them in stock :wink: ). The Auchenipterids I'm referring to are pretty obscure Tatias and - for instance - Trachelyopterus sp otorongo. So I'll have to clean out the medium tank as well. Anyone interested in 10 mature Kryptopterus macrocephalus??
sidguppy wrote:happy hunting! :wink:
Thanks. We'll do.
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Marc van Arc wrote: We'll do.
We won't. Due to a funeral next Thursday the whole trip is cancelled :cry:
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

If I have learned anything from the above, it's this: next time I'll let you know the ins and outs when I have the fish here at home safe and sound.

Return to “Speak Easy”