Sun Catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Sun Catfish

Post by albino catfish »

I am thinking of purchasing a few Sun Catfish & houseing them with Blue Channel Catfish. How big in inches will the Sun cats get, will they get as big as channels ?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Trahan
Location 1: TN

Post by Trahan »

Good question. Im wondering the same I have 2 thats about 6" and been having them about 6 months. I have heard anywere from 6" to 20" and grow very very slow. dont meen to hijack the question, but im looking for the same thing. thanks
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I had a sun cat almost 12 inches in length. They are not very agressive but will swallow anything that will fit in it's mouth. Channel cats get very large, much larger than the sun cats. You will need a very large tank to accomodate these fish when they approach full size.

Mark
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Trahan wrote:Good question. Im wondering the same I have 2 thats about 6" and been having them about 6 months. I have heard anywere from 6" to 20" and grow very very slow. dont meen to hijack the question, but im looking for the same thing. thanks
According to the Cat-eLog page, the Sun-cat will grow to about 18". The Channel-cat is a really fast-growing fish, which is why it's so popular to commercially grow for food. I'm not familiar with the growth speed of the Sun-cat, but I wouldn't be suprised if it grows a bit slower than the channel-cat, if only because it's smaller adult size.

As stated before, both of the above mentioned fish require very large tanks/ponds to be housed properly when adult size. The Sun-cat can probably be housed in a very large tank, whilst channel cats grow to sizes that are getting to the point where the pond option is more suitable.

--
Mats
dastrieg
Location 1: TERRE HAUTE IND

Post by dastrieg »

Hello all I have 4 of the sun cats in my 220 tank and they grow very slow i got them 2 1/2 years ago and they are like only 5-7 inches, the channel cat will out grow it very fast and may eat them.
valhalla
Location 1: UNITED STATES

sun cats

Post by valhalla »

I have 3 that i just moved out of a 72 bow tank, they are about 8 inches in length and were with a large ( 12) channel cat. They seemed to get along fine but i put them in a 40 long with my Jaguar as hes very picky about who he swims with . Gets along great with them and large black shark but he used to beat and chase the channel cat relentlessly! Hes never bothered the sun cats though and they even chase him around eating his scraps. There very pretty catfish though and i recommend some pvc pipe in the tank for them as they spend a lot of time in them. I should say that i mean a jaguar cichlid not the jag cat, would love to have one of those though!
cichlidfinder
My images: 5
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Chicago Ill

Post by cichlidfinder »

Horabagrus must be more popular than I thought. I came to the forum today to ask if anyone else have kept these and low and behold there is already a thread. I also bought three last weekend and these juviniles have setteled in nicely. They do seem a bit light shy but do come out for food.

Big-B
Location 1: St.Charles, Mo.

Sun cats

Post by Big-B »

Hiya All,

I'm new to this site. I also recently purchased three of these little cats. They seem to have alot of personality though they are quit shy. They seem to be a shoaling fish, at least when young. Do they grow out of this or are they always going to be this way. Not that I'm complaining about it, I'd much rather see a school as opposed to a single fish. 8)
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Post by albino catfish »

I am not shur about them geting over of being shy. But every time I see them at they store they are always in a school 10-12 plus in they school. they rest of they Sun
Cats are loafing on they bottom of they tank or trying there best to hide !!!

Return to “Asian Catfishes”