Farowella Cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
oman
Location 1: Florida

Farowella Cat

Post by oman »

Does anyone keep these? I saw one in the store today and liked the look of them. Just wanted to see if they were suitable for a 55 gallon community tank with angels, gouramis and corys.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Oman,
The big question is if you already have any algae eaters in the tank. Farlowella spp. are very poor competitors for food and often waste away (much like Otocinclus) once they have cleaned up the initial algae supply. With corys in the tank they will have very little chance of getting any food off the substrate before it is all eaten. Long term Farlowella seem to do best in large planted tanks where there is a constant food source or medium sized tanks where they are housed with non-competitive fishes like small tetras.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
rahendricks
Location 1: Washington, IL

Post by rahendricks »

I have two in a heavily planted 40 gal tank. One of the two will jump down to the substrate at feeding time and fight for its share of algae wafers; against mollies and platys which I consider to be aggressive feeders. Most of the time they hop from plant to plant and graze the algae. When they do actually swim, it looks like the main propulsion is from the dorsal and ventral fins. The caudal fin seems to be more of a rudder. They are interesting to watch, and mine seem to be much more active than other accounts I've read.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I have the problem of trying to stop them eating too much! I worry about the amount of algae wafer they eat.

They pounce on most food before anything else has the chance. They get pushed aside easily, but their advantage is that they don't spook, so they get to feed when others are too timid.

I make sure they get enough greens by hanging spring greens at the surface with veggie clip. They feed here in peace.
oman

Post by oman »

Well I don't have any other alage eaters that would compete with them for food. The tank is not heavily planted but I do have about a dozen live plants. I also have two large pieces of drift wood in the middle of the tank and some large rock caves. I'm leaning towards getting one.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I would get more than 1! About 5 would be nice if you have the room. They may even breed if you're lucky.
oman

Post by oman »

I'd like to get a few. Not sure about available room though. I have 55 gallon with angels and dwarf gouramis and corys.
SorubimLima
Location 1: Indiana
Interests: Shovelnoses

Post by SorubimLima »

Oman, they will probably be fine. Mine has to compete with a common pl*co in a 75 gallon, and the pl*co is a voracious eater! They will eat shrimp and other meaty foods, although they aren't good for the Farlowella's nutrition. It will eat algae wafers, but it might take a while for them to recognize them as food.
SorubimLima
Cat Count:2 Sorubims,1 pl*co, 1 twig, 2 pictus, 1 oto, 1 striped raphael, 3 Pygmy Cories
oman

Post by oman »

Thanks for all the replys. I'm going to get one today.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”