Sterbai and Panda temps

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
LDA19
Location 1: IN

Sterbai and Panda temps

Post by LDA19 »

What is the ideal temperature for breeding Panda and Sterbai corys?
Sherrie
"I have yet to meet a catfish that I did not like".
12 Sterbai corys,7 longfin Paleatus
corys,2 L007,2 L-028,6 L-75,5 L-144,2 L-200,5 LDA-25,4 LDA-33,2 LDA-72
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

C. panda at 74-75 degrees. C. sterbai 76-77 degrees.

Mark
housewren
Location 1: Berrien Springs, MI
Interests: Cory Cats and Guppy Genetics

Post by housewren »

I'm not very experienced, but my group of Panda cories have been spawning regularly (every 3-4 days) for the past month at 71F.
The eggs have taken 5-6 days to hatch at this temp.

Cheri
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

I keep my breeding group og C. panda at 22-23 degrees celcius...seems like they breed more regularly and lays more eggs at this temp than they do if I keep them at 25 degrees celcius.

My C. sterbais are kept at 27 degrees celcius.

Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Waldo
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

do you use any initial triggers to spawn the C. Panda?
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
housewren

Post by housewren »

My group started spawning after being conditioned on a diet of live and flake foods, and then a water change of 50% with water about 5F degrees cooler at the time a low pressure weather system was moving through. Once started, they have been spawning every few days for the past month without my doing anything to trigger it. I would guess that it is not the same female spawning each time--I have four females in the group.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

To get the pandas going, I give them bloodworms and various pellets. I do a 50% water change with some cooler water once weekly.

My sterbais are a bit more stubborn..tried a lot of things, but they've only bred a few times last winter.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Waldo
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

so basically the Anneus way right? replicating rainy season and giving them enough food to produce the eggs.
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
housewren

Post by housewren »

Yes, that's the way they work for me. Right now, any time it rains or snows here, they are spawning, whether or not they have had a recent water change!

Cheri
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

My sterbai breed from 27ºC to 30ºC, in discus tanks; normally after a 40% change with cooler water (23-26ºC)

Panda, 1-2ºC less.
Inchworm
Location 1: New York

Post by Inchworm »

My pandas have been spawning regularly at 74.5 degrees F.

I have a group of around 20 pandas and they used to spawn every few days until I added other corys to the tank. Then they gradually stopped. Once I moved them out to their own tank they started up again without my doing anything else to stimulate them. There are a dozen or so C. pygmaeus in their tank, but they don't seem to bother them like the bigger corys did.

I feed them heavily on blackworms when they are spawning and get eggs every day or two. :D
skids
Location 1: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Location 2: Ft Lauderdale, FL

egg raising temp?

Post by skids »

Ok, so a friend (Boun in SFBAAPS) has some C sterbai that layed quite a few eggs, he was able to save about 70 or so before the rummy noses ate them.

I'm going to raise them in a separate 10g tank, any preffered temp?

I see breeding happens at 24-25 for one poster above, 27 to 30C for another. Ok, now what about the temp for the eggs/ fry tank?

Any pH, hardness recommendations to increase yield? I'm blessed by very soft city water, 0.5 kH , 0-1 gH. I could leave it really soft and add some black water, peat extract as well.

For now I added 1 tsp of Seachem Equilibrium to bring up the gH and leave kH low, and 1/2 tsp , Seachem Neutral regulator to fix pH at 7.0. And 1 drop of methylene blue. The commumity tank the eggs came from was at 5 kH, about 9 gH, and 25 C. We just had three rain storms in a row, this week,a low pressure front came through yesterday going from about 30.17 to 30.04 in.Hg according to our local high school weather station. Eggs were up on top of glass wedged between a huge clump of floating plants and the waterline. This is the 2nd or 3rd laying for this group of 5 or so in last 2 months.
Skids
skids
Location 1: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Location 2: Ft Lauderdale, FL

fungus

Post by skids »

Well, got fungus on the eggs on day 2. I had added methylene blue but didn't know how much to use so I had added 1 drop in 10gal. Looks like I needed 10 drops / 10 gal.

The tank was bare and freshly clened, but I fear I had forgotten to similarly clean the totally died out box filter from storage.

Any recommendations? Bleach everything and get ready for next spawning and then add 1 drop/gal?
Skids
new2Lnumbers
Location 1: ILL. U.S.A.

Post by new2Lnumbers »

you want to add 1 teaspoon of Methylene Blue per 10 gallons.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”