Blue Panaque

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
O_o
Location 1: So.Cal
Interests: Tropheus and rare stuff

Blue Panaque

Post by O_o »

1. Anyone have any suggestions on making him eat?
2. He hasn't tried to hide or move at all. i noticed a little heavy breathing so i trew in an airstone. Also he hasn't eaten or even acknoweldged his food( frozen brine,algea waffer, its been only 2 days but im a little worried. I knew the eating might happen but, the him not moving is what i didn't expect. Is this tyical of newly introduced blue panaques??
Thanks,
Your Q&A is welcomed.
WazZAp!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Could you do me a favor and read the sticky in the forum and provide us with all the details requested there? The information it will give us can help us give you an answer that's more than just a shot in the dark. Without knowing how the tank is decorated, how long it's been up, when you bought the fish, what else is in with him, how warm it is and everything else, there's just really not much help that we can give. Thanks!

Barbie
O_o
Location 1: So.Cal
Interests: Tropheus and rare stuff

Post by O_o »

how silly of me, ok here goes,
Bought the fish 3 days from today 1-12-06
Qt tanks (10gal) been but for a around a year
nothings been in it for a month, did a 50% water change day before putting new plec in.
ph is @ 7.7 today (came in water @ ph7.9 slowly working it down with drift wood)
Temp a steady 79f
there are two pieces of drift wood in the tank one touches the base at both ends and one across the front of the tank, my substate are smooth river rock and some thick cover plants(the drift wood in the front was new to me, but i boiled it and it sank, its malayasin driftwood from a lfs.
my kh or gh (forgot what i tested is hairly low 7.
nitrate-0 ammonia-0
i'm currently running an air stone to add oxygen in tank.

I've also gotten some information on freeze mode (natural response that could explain why he is so still.
WazZAp!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

As you've had no fish in the tank for a month, the bacteria could have perished.

With this new fish (and food), the tank could start to re-cycle if insufficient bacteria are present.

Keep a close eye on nitrogenous waste!
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

HI!

They are omnivorous, feeding should consist of live or frozen insect larvae, tablets, vegetables...

Try feeding them at night!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Nothonotus
Location 1: Ithaca, NY
Interests: North American for study, everything else for fun

Post by Nothonotus »

The small group (2M/2F;adult) of these I have mostly eat the driftwood in the tank. I supplement with a 4-5 spirulina wafers or about 1 tablespoon of defrosted frozen bloodworms every few days. Anymore of either and they won't eat it all. Most of the 'Panaques' I have would prefer to munch on some nice aged driftwood more than anything else.
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Just wonna add that L239 is not a Panaque.
Welstaltas 2 lists it as Ancistrini sp. and that it has nothing in common with P.
Also that it has typical teeth of a Aufwuchs-eater.
Temperature where Seidel caught it in the Orinoko on stones was 32.5°C
cheers
Christian
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I had a look in the ACSI website, a part is with the pictures of the collecting trip that Jon Armbruster, Mark Sabaj went... where they collected L200 normal and high fin, L106 L122 and there was a picture of a L239, they listed it as Parancistrus sp...
Anyway the feeding is basically the same as for Parancistrus.

Yes Chris, L239 is an aufwuchs eater, but it is hard in a tank to have them feed like in the nature...they would starve in a very small time!!

If I remember well, they also put that they occasionnally go after the plants in the tank as well!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Politely
Location 1: NY

Post by Politely »

Yep. As per some prior posts, there was a question as to whether L239 went after plants. I can confirm that mine do. My E. bleheri have been destroyed by my four L239. However, they don't seem to bother stem plants, anubias or java fern (the last is no surprise).

-P
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Politely: Have you tried feeding more vegetables in the diet? Leaving a piece of courgette/zucchini sitting at the bottom of the tank should make it less likely that the fish go for the plants. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed solution, but a fish with a full tummy is less likely to go looking for plants to eat, so if you have an alternative that the fish prefer to fill it's tummy with, you should be able to have the plants and fish together...

--
Mats
Politely
Location 1: NY

Post by Politely »

MatsP - I do feed zucchini as well as spirulina tabs, but they're in a community tank with several L204s, so they don't have sole access to those sources. If they were the sole plecs in a tank, the outcome could be different. Just making a note that for someone with a planted tank, L239 shouldn't be viewed as completely safe.

-P
Mikael
Location 1: Uppsala, Sweden

Post by Mikael »

That's interesting. My little Blue panaque chases of the L204s and the bristlnoses from both my pleco tabs and suchini. It even happens that it tries to chase of the doubly sized L200... But all this is when it is extremely calm in the room around, like only me sitting completely still watching them for ten minutes. Should there be some noise or movement the blue is gone in half a second.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”