Sinking Pellets

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
hamsterguy
Location 1: (USA) NYC
Interests: Role of God

Sinking Pellets

Post by hamsterguy »

Hi
I havnt posted in a while but Im having some problems with my cory. :( They dont seem to like anything other than frozen BloodWorms. :( I have these Sinking Wafers by Hikari and my corys dont seem to like eating them. Good frozen blood worms cost alot and I have a limited budget. What other sinking pellets can i buy for my cory cats?

Thanks.
suezbele
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: TEMPERANCE,MICHIGAN
Interests: keeping catfish,nascar,music

Post by suezbele »

You could try shrimp pellets maybe
tony stewart rules!!!!!
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

They are probably used to the tasty bloodworms and simply dont want to eat their greens, as it were :)

Starve them for a day or two and then give them only sinking wafers for a few days and I'm sure they will learn to eat them. My corys are just as enthusiastic over hikari sinking and algae wafers as they are over frozen bloodworms or live blackworms, or even good flakes for that matter.

Fish can be fussy and often get conditioned to take ony one type of food, especially if it is offered on a regular basis, and especially if it is a tasty and easy meal high in protien, such as bloodworms are.
CoolCat
Location 1: San Bruno, Ca. USA

Re: Sinking Pellets

Post by CoolCat »

Hi Hamsterguy, I have a few hundred cories and had a hard time finding foods that would be accepted the majority of the time other than live tubifex worms which I feed every other day. I tried all the cory/plecko tablets but most were disliked and dissolved causing problems. I found after trial and error that small 1mm Aquamax pellets are pretty popular. I rotate flake and live BBS in my feeding cycle too, variety makes for happy/healthy fish. Hope this helps, Chas. :P
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

I've tried various pellets, but Tetra TabiMin and 6mm. trout pellets from a fish farm are fist choice. All 16 og my Cory-species will eat them without any fuss. ´They are mostly wild caught fish.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I swear by tetra tabimin and Aquarian catfish tablets, but I'm not sure the latter is available worldwide.

If your Corys have been used to a sole diet of blood worms then I would not feed them for a couple of days before introducing anything, when they are hungry enough they will at least pick at what's offered and eventually eat.

Ian
lotsabettas
Location 1: Pa, USA
Location 2: Pittsburgh
Interests: reptiles, animals

Post by lotsabettas »

I also use the tetra min tablets(tabimin) along with shrimp pellets all of mine seem to like both especially the tetra tablets...The larger fry go nuts for them too
hamsterguy

Thank You all

Post by hamsterguy »

Thanks for all the replies.
About starving corys. Last week I ran out of Frozen bloodworms and it was on a Friday I noticed. the store I buy bloodworms from were closed all weekend and close early on Fridays. so I didnâ??t feed my corys for about close to 3days until Monday morning. I try feeding them pellets as a last resort but after 2 hours I found the pellet untouched. I took the pellet and threw it out and put a new one in. The same cycle began. I have tried pleco algae pellets, shrimp pellets, and hikari pellets. All are the sinking type with no success. I even tried crushed flakes which I dislike because it cause my water to go dirty. no success. :(:(:( Are bloodworms really that addictive? Im all out of options. I love my corys too much to watch them starve if I have food.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I had this problem with Chaetostoma sp. They are incredibly fussy with their foods. There are some additives out there with garlic in them. If you pre-soak the pellet for 5-10 minutes or so in the garlic solution, they may go for it. It takes a lot of patience and trial and error. They'll be looking for the bloodworms. You may want to cut back to twice a week with the bloodworms and give the wafers or pellets a good try. A feeding journal or diary may be helpful to keep track. This will be hard for you, too! :wink: In the wild, it's catch as catch can. There aren't blood worms at every turn, every day, as there are in our tanks. Our tanks have "road food" and the fish take advantage whenever they can. I believe Shane calls this the "McDonalds Effect."

Hikari has a new "micro wafer" that the Chaetostoma go crazy over. It has a potent smell out of the bag. This may sound crazy, but I've noticed that some newer Cories I have (which I thought were Trilineatus, but on second look, aren't)have this thing about being looked at by a human when they eat. They only eat with the lights completely out and I'm nowhere near them. I think they may be wild-caught as well. So, I feed them at night. However, they took to the wafers right away. Please let us know how you do! :D
Amanda
hamsterguy

Post by hamsterguy »

bronzefry wrote:I had this problem with Chaetostoma sp. They are incredibly fussy with their foods. There are some additives out there with garlic in them. If you pre-soak the pellet for 5-10 minutes or so in the garlic solution, they may go for it. It takes a lot of patience and trial and error. They'll be looking for the bloodworms. You may want to cut back to twice a week with the bloodworms and give the wafers or pellets a good try. A feeding journal or diary may be helpful to keep track. This will be hard for you, too! :wink: In the wild, it's catch as catch can. There aren't blood worms at every turn, every day, as there are in our tanks. Our tanks have "road food" and the fish take advantage whenever they can. I believe Shane calls this the "McDonalds Effect."

Hikari has a new "micro wafer" that the Chaetostoma go crazy over. It has a potent smell out of the bag. This may sound crazy, but I've noticed that some newer Cories I have (which I thought were Trilineatus, but on second look, aren't)have this thing about being looked at by a human when they eat. They only eat with the lights completely out and I'm nowhere near them. I think they may be wild-caught as well. So, I feed them at night. However, they took to the wafers right away. Please let us know how you do! :D
Amanda
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I followed ur instructions on pre soaking the pellets in garlic and they finally start eating it. :D :D :D but only 2 out of 10 is eating it. :? :? :? Im not home most of the time so i only feed my fishes before i go to school and at night before i sleep. so they dont eat in fear. Ill check in to the micro wafer idea. THANK YOU! again for the garlic idea. :D :D :D
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

This could take a bit of time and patience is warranted. While you're at it, can you please read the sticky notes at the top of the Cory forum? I hate to be a bore, but if you could please let us know what exact Cory or Cories you have, the water parameters of the tank, etc., it may be helpful in determining what, if any, other problems there may be. Can't hurt to check, can it?:wink:
hamsterguy

Post by hamsterguy »

sorry sorry
I have 6 Panda Cory, 2 Trilineatus Cory, and 2 Aenus Cory.
The tank water is 7PH and 0 ammonia and i dont know the rest.
tank11
Location 1: hudson, fl

Post by tank11 »

If you can get a hold of some Aquamax #300 pellets try them or see sonic on aquabid for some of his power pellets they should like them both..
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Nothing to be sorry about, Mate! :D Just trying to figure out what's going. Everybody's here to learn. From my own experience, Aeneus like their tank on the cooler side, in the low '70s. Do you know the dimensions of the tank?
Fish Soup
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Penna. USA

Post by Fish Soup »

As Tank11 said, try Sonic's Power Pellets. All my cories go crazy over them.

Here's the breakdown:

Min crude protein is 55%, min crude fat is 15% with 2% fiber.

Check out the ingredients:

White Fish Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Oil, Zucchini, Cucumber, Peas, Green Beans, Soybean Meal, Blood Meal, Wheat Flour, Cereal Food Fines, Liquid Fish Solubles, Brewers Yeast, Loy Lecithin, Yeast Culture, Vitamin & minerals, Ethoxyquin (preservative), Canthaxanthin (color enchancing)

I even conditioned my Ancistrus claro on them. And now the fry are gobbling them up. Power Pellets and fresh zucchini is an awesome combo for plecs.

Don
2xL46; 3xL333; 2xLDA33; 3xL183; 9xLDA08; 1xAncistrus L279; 2xAlbino Ancistrus sp.(3)
kraatzy
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, Bettas, Quilting

Cory food

Post by kraatzy »

:D Hi, I have several tanks with 3 peppers, 6 sterbai, 6 trilineatus(3stripe), 4 schwartzi, 2 hastatus, 2 pandas, 1 skunk, 1 zygatus, 1 brochis splendid. I have them all spawning and now raising the fry of sterbai, hastatus, trilineatus. I feed the parents alternatively TetraMin Tropical tablets - The Rich Mix and Sera Viformo Tablet Form. I give them bloodworms perhaps weekly for a treat. Their tanks are medium planted with a sponge filter and a power filter. I hope this is a bit helpful. 8)
kraatzy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”