HI there I need some suggestions for my 160L tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
FrankieWilde
Location 1: Netherlands

HI there I need some suggestions for my 160L tank

Post by FrankieWilde »

Hi I'm new here, I'm Frankie, I live in The Netherlands and I just love catfish, I always had a big school of Synodontis petricola, but now I want to keep other catfish as well.
My tank is 100cmx40cmx40cm. 160L or 35 gallon volume. I have an mechanical filter with a capacity of 800L an hour, it's adjustable. I also use a sump wich contains 28L of effective filtermaterial. The sump filters 200L an hour.

I want to use this tank as an catfish-tank, maybe with another species of scholingfish to fill in the blanks in the tank.

Can you guys suggest a catfish that is active during daytime or during low lightlevels. At best one that lives in groups and is suitable for my tank?

Thanks in advance!

Frankie

Edit:

I was already thinking about:

Mystus cf wolffii
Mystus bimaculatus
Mystus rhegma
Mystus pulcher
Mystus tengara

But I don't have experience with these species and I don't know if my tank is big enough...

I'm still on the lookout for other species...
Ibiza is . . .
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

why not just get a shoal of Glass catfish
or if i were you, i wouldnt head in the direction of Catfish at all!!
i would do An Angelfish tank, with a shoal of Neons and obviously 2-4 angels/Discus
maybee, just maybee a BN, but thats a myabe, not a definate
FrankieWilde

Post by FrankieWilde »

pictus_man_77 wrote:why not just get a shoal of Glass catfish
i would do An Angelfish tank, with a shoal of Neons and obviously 2-4 angels/Discus
No I just want some small catfish, my tank is to small for angelfish or discus.
Ibiza is . . .
FrankieWilde

Post by FrankieWilde »

This is my tanksetup. I only plan to get some more plants next week.

Ibiza is . . .
FrankieWilde

Post by FrankieWilde »

No replies? :?
Ibiza is . . .
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Welcome to the site...

Looks nice. Plenty of wood and rocks, natural looking.

--
Mats
anjel972
Location 1: Dallas TX

Post by anjel972 »

you tank set up looks really nice -
troi
I've donated: $65.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Northwest New Mexico, USA

Post by troi »

anjel972 wrote:you tank set up looks really nice -
Looks like a catfish tank to me. How about small plecs? For small catfish, cories are always good. The pygmeas tend to school, at least part time. You could have a thundering heard, it the syno's didn't eat them. Regular sized cories would be ok, I think. They will often use the whole tank, not just the bottom and go to the top in mad dashes to get a gulp of air.

One of my C. aeneus has bonded with the visiting Betta and trys to chase it, to mate I guess. Hilarious.

I am not sure why you want the cats active in day time, but if it is so you can wathch them, you might consider at red light at night. I use a 40 ordinary red bulb in a clip on lamp to watch my foundling plecs in the evening. I hear catfish, any fish I guess, don't perceive teh red. This seems to be true.

troi
FrankieWilde

Post by FrankieWilde »

Thank you for the info. I use a 4 Watt fluorescent ligthbulb in the morning and evening to simulate dusk and dawn. Maybe I can use that red light...
Ibiza is . . .
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

If you're not big on Angels, Discus and such, how about a Dwarf Cichlid? I reckon some Keyholes would look good in your tank. People think they're drab, but I think it's cool how they sometimes blend in, and you don't notice them until they move.

Cory's sometimes get up their nose, but generally they get on. I have both in a 250 litre. You could pop a hide or two up in your back corner there.

zenyfish
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Orange County, California, USA
Location 2: Orange County, California, USA

Post by zenyfish »

Petricolas are my favorites.

Another favorite is a group of brochis splendens. Or a few hoplo catfish:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ca ... h/14_F.PHP
smiffertins
Location 1: Santa Cruz, California

Post by smiffertins »

First off, hello Frankie!! Your tank looks sweet!
I totally agree and I bet you would too if you checked them out! Click here and you can see them and their data... On a whim I bought some and I'm so glad I did! They don't get very big, they're in plain view/visible whether the lights are on or off, they are nice to all their tank-mates, and they swim (in schools) ALL over the tank (top, middle, bottom, up and down)! Good luck!
SmIfFeRtInS
smiffertins
Location 1: Santa Cruz, California

Post by smiffertins »

oh yeah, and the pictures on the link dosent do them justice... if you want I'll try to get a decent pic of mine to post for you.
SmIfFeRtInS
kalija
My cats species list: 4 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Rochester, NY
Location 2: Rochester, NY

Post by kalija »

I vote Hoplo cats too, or how about some Flagtail porthole cats. Both are pretty active during the day. I love the driftwood pieces in your tank, btw.
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

Pictus man,

Tsk Tsk. Angels with Neons? Angels looove neons - for dinner. Even the billions of captive breedings hasn't got that out of scalares' wiring. Adult angels will hunt neons with vigor. They are also extremely fond of livebearer fry.

When one makes suggestions, one should speak from experience/research, not postulate a doomed scenario that some may think a good idea.

Discus, on the other hand, won't, unless they are VERY small, but neons can't handle the 84 degree Æ? temperatures for very long at all. Cardinals (Paracheirodon axelrodi) can, and they are commonly kept with discus (if anything is kept with discus at all).

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .

Return to “Tank Talk”