WHat are these plecos?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
degrassi
Location 1: Edmonton,AB, Canada

WHat are these plecos?

Post by degrassi »

I was at the LFs and saw soem really nice plecos.One was called a mustard spot black pleco and the other was a blue spotted pleco.Both were about 4" and cost 60$can.

I can't find any info on them by usign the common names and the guy at the LFS didn't know anyhting.He said all plecos are the same so I didn't need a scientific name :roll:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Here's what is being sold as a blue spotted pleco at some online stores (L128):
And here's what I think is being sold as mustard spotted plecos, <i>Hypancistrus inspector</i> (L201):

These your fish?
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

The blue spotted pleco did look like that, but its base color was more dark brown/black. Is 60$can a ok price,seems a bit much?
Vik
Location 1: Oregon, USA
Interests: Photography, Fish, Racing

Post by Vik »

I have three L128's an none of them are brown/black - I wouldn't buy it. It may be unhealthy or stressed out. Mine are very blue, so I would wait and watch him for a while. At $60 they don't move too quickly! I have heard of the Mustard Spot too, but don't know anything about it. Good Luck!!
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

I'm not going to be buying any,Just wanted to know what they were.I hate when the stores only have common names and can't even fidn the scientific name if you ask for it.

I'm still on my hunt for a rusty pleco(l77) but i jsut called the LFS and he jsut sold the last one:(
Daniel L
Location 1: Canada

Post by Daniel L »

Still haven't found an answer here! I have exactly the same question. I know the some wholesellers have it in stock.

If anyone have an answer, feel free to reply! Up to now, my research are leading to panaque "galaxias". Perhaps a L-number would help but I didn't find one. Hope one can help.

They are just amazing for those of you who've seen it. Thanks!

Daniel (Quebec City)
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Have you looked at these? http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/lo ... 223_13.htm

Same basic shape as the L128, but with yellow spots on a camo green/brown background. Very nice fish, commonly available with some wholesalers as mustard spot plecos. There seems to be quite a bit of variation in color intensities, and even fin shape.

Barbie
Lepidosauria
Location 1: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Lepidosauria »

Daniel, when a store gets in a shipment of fish, they are given a packing slip. If the shipment is form outside Canada, that packing slip has to have a Latin name. The name may be wrong but it has to have a latin name of some sort. Make them find the invoice and give you a Latin name.

Clayton
I hated fish 4 yrs ago, i hated them and hated them and hated them. Now I am setting up to grow out a friends fish. Go Fig.
Mirra
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta

Post by Mirra »

$60 might not be a bad price for Edmonton but not great just a little too high.50 seems the going rate. But i guess it depends on how bad you want the pleco. :D

i picked up one for $50,(my second big ticket purchase) and couldn't belive that i would spend that for ONE fish that might die. And it did 4m later the week after i bought a second one at 50. ( i got braver)
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

They're beautiful! Nice pics! :wink:

Cheers,
Michelle
I've tried to kill the pain,but only brought more(so much more) I lay dying, and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal I'm dying,praying,bleeding,and screaming...Am I too lost to be saved? Am I too lost? My God my Tourniquet return to Salvation, My God my Tourniquet return to me Salvation.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”