Lithodoras dorsalis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Piranha
Location 1: Hong Kong

Lithodoras dorsalis

Post by Piranha »

:D Could any you tell me more information about this species - Lithodoras dorsalis. There a lack of information on the web!
Is it rare?? I never seen in LFS, but can find on the internet aquarium shop! USD$200 is acceptiable?? Thanks for help!!
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Lithodoras dorsalis

Post by coelacanth »

Piranha wrote::D Could any you tell me more information about this species - Lithodoras dorsalis. There a lack of information on the web!
Is it rare?? I never seen in LFS, but can find on the internet aquarium shop! USD$200 is acceptiable?? Thanks for help!!
They appear very infrequently in the UK, usually fairly pricey (for a Doradid anyway, £20-40). I see no reason why they wouldn't accept the same diet at Megalodoras, Pterodoras etc., they are known to eat significant quantities of palm fruits in nature. They do get very large, an adult is going to require an aquarium measured in the hundreds rather than tens of gallons.
I suppose the fish is worth whatever it is worth to you. If this is a fish you have coveted for some time then go for it. I do think they are stunning fish from a structural viewpoint, great fish for a really large aquarium.
Piranha
Location 1: Hong Kong

Re: Lithodoras dorsalis

Post by Piranha »

coelacanth wrote:
Piranha wrote::D Could any you tell me more information about this species - Lithodoras dorsalis. There a lack of information on the web!
They appear very infrequently in the UK, usually fairly pricey (for a Doradid anyway, £20-40). I see no reason why they wouldn't accept the same diet at Megalodoras, Pterodoras etc., they are known to eat significant quantities of palm fruits in nature. They do get very large, an adult is going to require an aquarium measured in the hundreds rather than tens of gallons.
I suppose the fish is worth whatever it is worth to you. If this is a fish you have coveted for some time then go for it. I do think they are stunning fish from a structural viewpoint, great fish for a really large aquarium.
:D Thanks!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”