redtail catfish sick? red spots

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cabazon
Location 1: usa

redtail catfish sick? red spots

Post by cabazon »

I treated my redtail catfish for ich but the fish still has red spots as if the blood was coming to the surface, he acts normal but doesn't look healthy!! What can I do or what does he have, please if anyone can help
thanks
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Post by albino catfish »

What its he's reguler diet ????
it might be the food.
is it an albino ???
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas

Post by albino catfish »

I have rasied a few albino channel cats over the last few months with not much sucsess. there was a few that had red spots on them like there skin was bitten off at the time they did have a case of ich. Two of them died by this red spot thang. I dont think its pour water treatment maybe another fish picking on them. what is you Red-Tails tank mates ????
bluegoose_5
Location 1: winnipeg canada

try hes diet

Post by bluegoose_5 »

he needs lots of crustaceans my cat had them to i started to feed night crawers and lots of shrimp . Main diet is gold fish and snails look at the web cam http://www.yourvirtualworld.org/ it is up 24/7
Buster cam Live red tail cat cam http://www.buster-cam.com/
38. special
Location 1: Houston,Texas

Post by 38. special »

I wish my Red-Tail would swim around as much as that one dose when the lights are on. I spend $25.00 on my catfish an all he dose is lay around all day under he's little rock brige. but when the lights go out its a defrenet sotry is there any way to make him more active. maybe not feed him as much.
jellyfish
Location 1: USA

Post by jellyfish »

Hi Cabazon
Are the red spots like dots on the body or more like red streaking around the fins and tail. Sounds like maybe a bacterial infection has set in. Can you check your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to see if maybe the ich medication crashed your biological filter?
cabazon

Post by cabazon »

his diet consist of fish from the fish market, and live feeders, he doesn't get picked on because he is the bigest thing in the tank at about 2ft, the spots are spread all over the white part for his body, he is not an albino. The temp in the tank dropped and he got ich. I checked him this afternoon and he looks better but has scrach on his face. I will try to post pics or u can e-mail me and I will send them.

thanks for all the help!!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi.

If you give us the following information (in approximate order of importance) of your set-up, we can help you to work out what the illness is, what problem caused the illness, and how best to solve it.

Ammonia
Nitrite
Tank Size
Water Change Regime
pH
Temperature
Diet
Tankmates
Water Hardness

Do try to get photos, as they will be essential in any disease diagnosis.

I also refer to the "Big Cats Sticky" in the SA everything else forum.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=10494
cabazon

Post by cabazon »

MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

You probably want to edit those links to point to the REAL picture, rather than the miniature "thumbnail" picture.

Also, you need to respond to racoll's request for water condition values, as this is very important in helping you - it's similar to when you phone the doctor to say "My child has red spots on the body", the doctor will almost certainly ask if, for instance, the child has a fever - so that the doctor can understand more about the illness.

For fish, the obvious cause of illness is often poor water quality, and to help us understand if that's part of the problem, you'll need to give us some help. If you don't have a test-kit for the relevant tests, take a water sample to your LFS and they should be able to do the most important three tests (nitrate, nitrite and ammonia). Note: You want the values of the readings, not just a "looks fine", because a "fine" from the shop doesn't tell us if the values are "fine - bit on the high side" or "fine - quite low in fact".

--
Mats
cabazon

Post by cabazon »

here are new pics i will get water results this afternoon
tank size is 140 tank mats are pleco and tsn about 17in

http://shutter01.pictures.aol.com/data/ ... JR0300.jpg

http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/ ... 9C0300.jpg

try these sorry
Last edited by cabazon on 22 Dec 2005, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Ok, those images don't work at all [I don't have permission to view them, which is either because you have to be a member to view them, or there's something wrong in the links, or perhaps you haven't clicked "make available to public" or some such].

--
Mats
cabazon

Post by cabazon »

the links above should be better and show the pic and not the tumbnail.

thanks
superduper
Location 1: Worcestershire

Post by superduper »

Just wandering if you redtail has got any better since you posted the pics and stuff?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”