Catfish & Fruit

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Catfish & Fruit

Post by albino catfish »

My Red-Tail has been fed a large a-ray of defferent meats and worms. Just recently I readed an artcle on Red-Tails and
wear saying will eat fallen fruit from tree's. So I tryed feeding him an orange (he didn't exept it). So what tpye of fruit might I try, or if this is even true ?????
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Re: Catfish & Fruit

Post by djw66 »

albino catfish wrote:My Red-Tail has been fed a large a-ray of defferent meats and worms. Just recently I readed an artcle on Red-Tails and
wear saying will eat fallen fruit from tree's. So I tryed feeding him an orange (he didn't exept it). So what tpye of fruit might I try, or if this is even true ?????
Red-tails are famous (or infamous, depending on your point of view) for literally trying to eat anything in the tank, whether animate or inanimate. Missing any suction cups lately?

I doubt they'd eat a citrus fruit unless VERY hungry. I'd try a pulpy fruit, like an apple, in bite-size pieces to see if it goes for them. If it doesn't, remove it promptly, as a pulpy fruit will inping on water quality in a hurry.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

And try bits of tropical fruits; he's much more likely to eat mango's or banana's than to eat a citrusfruit like oranges.

peeled lichee's, bits of other semi-soft rainforestfruits are also more suitable.
Valar Morghulis
superduper
Location 1: Worcestershire

Post by superduper »

They are more likely to accept mangos and other tropical fruit as these are more likely to be found in their natural habitat. I found that my redtail would eat mango.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”