angelicus tankmates

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
rfb
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: lethbridge alberta canada

angelicus tankmates

Post by rfb »

I have a number of syno but only three are bigger than the new angelicus they are eupterus,ocelifer?and one that i think might be a large longosirus? do you think that it will be ok to put him in this tank or do i put him in another so he will grow,you know error on the side of cation.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

S. angelicus are very territorial. How large is your tank?

Mark
rfb

angelicus tankmates

Post by rfb »

my tank is 130 gallons and most of the inhabitants are either african cichlids or synodontis cats.I have a few loaches in there to get in the nooks and crannies,if you know what I mean.I have a nice albino sailfin pleco and one other pleco.It is my synos that are the fish that I pride myself on though.the reason that i was asking was for that reason but I put him in anyway.I had heard that they seem to do best when together,and he seems to be doing fine and is eating with no amount of abbondon,so I think he will be fine.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I have a 90 gallon tank with a group of Synodontis alberti and S. flavitaeniatus. They have been together for quite a while. There were very few signs of aggression. I had a 5 inch angelicus in another tank which I needed for another purpose so I put the angelicus in the 90g. Although everything is fine it is also obvious who is king of the tank. By the way I do see many more split fins now as well.

Mark
O_o
Location 1: So.Cal
Interests: Tropheus and rare stuff

Post by O_o »

I known of angelicus to kill multies, then eat them to the bone.. it was a sad sight, multies are my favorite catfish. :(
WazZAp!
toddnbecka
Location 1: Cumberland, MD
Interests: Synodontis

Post by toddnbecka »

I kept an angelicus for several years in a 55 with a eupterus and two decorus. They maintained separate territories, and while there were occaisonally signs of scuffling, never any significant damage. Incidentally, the angelicus never seemed to be the one with any injuries.
rfb

angelicus tankmates

Post by rfb »

just a brief update I put him in and he seems to be doing well and has adjusted fine and I see him on occassion chase just about everything in the tank with the exception of the big synodontis.I also have noted that when I got him from the shop he had almost no spots and now he has a nice coloring and his spots are back do you think that this could be stress.
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

It was most probably stress from being in the shop. When they settle in your tank and are happy, S. angelicus should be a deep purple-black and literally covered with even, white or off-white (depending on the population) polka-dots.

Hence the common names - Polka-dot catfish or Polka-dot Synodontis.

I'd be much more worried if it were pale and showed few dots.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
toddnbecka
Location 1: Cumberland, MD
Interests: Synodontis

Post by toddnbecka »

My synodontis had orange spots; I haven't seen one like it before or since. I decided to go with petricola's, to breed them, and the big Syno's had to go.

Return to “African Catfishes”