Neon Orange Striped Corys

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
reefcrack
Location 1: Vallejo, CA
Interests: aquaria, astronomy, golf, Steelers

Neon Orange Striped Corys

Post by reefcrack »

I was given a small tribe of neon orange striped corys and never have seen these in person before, I was wondering if the stripe disappears after time or variable tank conditions. They are in a 100 gallon community with about 20 other corydoras and they seem to be doing great. They are active and very friendly. They come up to my hand when I clean the glass. It seems like the stripe varies in each cory. My water is pH7.0, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, and a general hardness of 9 pts. They are a beautiful dark teal upper 2/3 body and a white lower 1/3 body; similar to a WWII fighter plane :) Any info will be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving!![/b]
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

These are a group of my F1 gold laser Corys

F1 'Gold laser fry at 8 weeks

Ian
reefcrack

Gold Stripe Cory

Post by reefcrack »

Coryman,
Thank you for the reply and photo. They are exactly what I have. Truly a very beautiful cory. Mine share the same golden/amber hue also. I look forward to keeping and perhaps breeding these little guys. Is there any special or unique water parameter required? I ask because of the stripe. It seems mother nature doesn't randomly hand out traits. Could the stripe be for locating others in low light conditions? Thanks again. I appreciate your info and time as I have since read many posts which you have authored.

Jim
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

It is difficult to determine natures reasoning completely, whether colour pattern are for camouflage or for group/individual recognition. What I do know is that when many of the white water Corys are first caught they are unrecognisable straight away because they all appear a golden colour, it is only when they are placed in clean water that the the underlying patterns are.

I have also noticed that they are chameleon like, in that if you keep them over a black base they go dark and like wise if you keep them over a white or pale base there colours go light. I think that with out any eyes their brain recognises everything as dark and so turns on all its pigment.

Ian
reefcrack

Substrate color?

Post by reefcrack »

Ian,

Are darker substrates better for the corys and plecos over the natural colored(tans and browns) substrates? I realize every collection area may have a different colored bottom, but what is most common. I have always used the "natural colored" substrates in my tanks thinking this would help my fish feel comfortable. Are the darker substrates better?

Thanks so much for your time Ian.

Jim
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

Do you think this is a "Gold Laser"???

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Jorge!

Yeap looks like one!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

How all this. Are they gold laser as well ?
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious
reefcrack

Laser Corys

Post by reefcrack »

CoryDorus,

Nice corys! From what I have seen there are gold, orange, red, and green "laser corys". From the pics, yours look like either the gold or green variety. I have never seen them until recently so I am still learning about them. In what type of setup do you have them(pH, temp, etc etc)?

Jim
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

Generally lower pH around 6.5 most cories will do well.
Temp not extreme should be ok for aeneus-like species i believe.
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious
Releven
Location 1: Beloit WI
Interests: Sci-Fi, reading

Starting to Breed Lazer Corys

Post by Releven »

Hey, I'm new to the site and posts. I work at a pet shop in Wisconsin and I fell in love with what we called 'Peruvian Green Neon Striped Corydoras Catfishs', so much so that I've now got a school of 8 and will be attempting to breed them soon. They are an active fish and I love the color. I thank you guys for providing such a wonderful site that has so much information on it. I do think though that we should push for a proper species name, instead of a vague "spp" of the Aneus label. I'm unawares of how one exactly one does that or what channels to go through, but I thihk it would make things easier, even if it just had a proper sub species name. I'll keep all of you updated on how things are going.
Mike Meyer
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Welcome to the site, Releven. :D

Dennis, nice photo of a "Cory Kiss." :D