tank mates

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
declan
Location 1: naxxar ,malta
Interests: reptile and fish keeping

tank mates

Post by declan »

i have an aquarium with 2 pangasius catfish and 2 corydoras, will a red tailed shark be a goot tank mate? do they swim in groups of 2-3?i also thinking of getting 4-7 tiger barbs for the aquarium. whitin this community will the fish harass each other?[/b]
>((('>
>((('>
B-2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Connecticut, USA

Easy snacks

Post by B-2 »

The red tailed cats will probably eat the tiger barbs and corys if they are large enough. Maybe you can add some larger barbs like tinfoil barbs or other fish like pacus. In the Cat-eLog it says "This fish is territorial within confined spaces and is certainly capable of killing other tankmates. Best kept "home alone" unless a very large aquarium is to be provided" for the compatibility of red tail cats. Maybe you can get some more peaceful species of large catfish. A big pleco would be cool. :)
B-2

One more thing

Post by B-2 »

I just remembered seeing the mother-of-snails catfish in the Cat-eLog (Pseudodoras niger). In my opinion it is so cute! :D One of these would be cool.
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Post by buzz763 »

Stay away from tiger barbs they are fin nippers. I have made that mistake already. Tinfoil barbs are a good option if you have enough room for them, but they eat alot of food which makes it hard to feed bottom dwellers. Silver dollars are another good one for a community tank,
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
declan

Post by declan »

my aquarium is a 4ftx2ft. i was doubting the possibility of keeping tin foils as many people warned me that the shark cat fish are violent and would kill them. i was also was wondering if should get chiclids:they are colourful and might stand up to the sharks
>((('>
>((('>
fish fodder
My images: 19
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: YORKSHIRE

Post by fish fodder »

red tail sharks are territorial towards other sharks.other than that they seem to be ok
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Post by buzz763 »

Now I am confused are you getting a redtail shark or a redtail cat because there is a difference one is a minnow the other is a catfish. If it's the minnow? large barbs will be fine. If it's a redtail cat? I would only keep large fish like pacu and other large cats.
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
declan

Post by declan »

i was going to get the red tailed shark ( black body red pectoral and caudal fins) red tailed cats are said to grow massivily.
>((('>
>((('>
B-2

Oops.

Post by B-2 »

Sorry! :oops: I read your post quickly and only noticed "red tail" and thought it said "red tail catfish" (this is planet CATFISH after all :D )If the tank is large enough (4 by 2 foot sounds big enough :) ) the sharks shouldn't bother other fish, especially if they're bigger than it. Just make sure other fish won't bother the shark. They only get 4 inches long. Tiger barbs are usually agressive if kept in small groups. If kept in larger groups, they will chase each other and not bother the other fish. In small groups they seem to get bored and bother and nip at more peaceful fish.
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

re the red-tail sharks, as fish fodder says they are territorial towards other red-tails (and rainbow or albino sharks) and if you want to keep more than one you must have a small group of a least half a dozen, preferably more. Any less and the dominant ones will harass the smaller sharks until there is only one left.

fwiw, I've heard anecdotal advice that a red-tail shark will keep a school of tiger barbs 'under control', so to speak. I've not tested this theory myself, but I have often seen red-tail sharks playfully stalk schools of Cyprinids, in particular Crossocheilus siamensis. They would slowly cruise behind the school then dart up to them and turn away at the last instant. The other fish didnt appear scared as such, but they were aware of the shark and tended to be less venturous when he was near them.
declan

Post by declan »

thanks for the information on the sharks and barbs, i'll try to get about 7 barbs and a few red-tailed sharks for the pangasius catfish. hopefully they'll make "friends" :lol:
>((('>
>((('>
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

declan wrote:i'll try to get about 7 barbs and a few red-tailed sharks for the pangasius catfish. hopefully they'll make "friends"
Redtailed Black Sharks can be quite aggresive towards one another, even in a decent-sized aquarium such as yours if you have more than one there is likely to be some trouble as they grow. Shops get away with housing them in numbers because in a high-density situation all the aggression does not get directed at any one individual, and as individuals get sold the "pecking order" is constantly in a state of flux. This of course is not an approach that is recommended for the home aquarium.
Irrespective of this, as has been outlined elsewhere, your aquarium is in no way large enough for Pangasius to be adequately housed as they grow. You really should consider taking them back where you got them and choosing fish that are suited to the size of your aquarium.
Pete
declan

Post by declan »

BAD MOVE! the pangasius killed every single barb then got the ich. i was told a raise in temparature would do the trick?
>((('>
>((('>
O_o
Location 1: So.Cal
Interests: Tropheus and rare stuff

Post by O_o »

yeah just a little warmer around 86 and some aqurium salt.
WazZAp!
O_o
Location 1: So.Cal
Interests: Tropheus and rare stuff

Post by O_o »

Hmm also.. when you trew in the new fish you should of re-arranged your tank(actually quertined, but not everyone has extra tanks). And if i were you i would of just made it a species tank.. with my experience with shark catfish.. they suck and will annoy any fish to death the only fish i've seen them not bug are full grown loaches.
WazZAp!
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

O_o wrote:Hmm also.. when you trew in the new fish you should of re-arranged your tank
This is definitely not necessary; it's done however by people who keep C****ds (especially those from the African Lakes), because new fish can hardly be introduced because of the fact that all territories are already taken.
O_o wrote:with my experience with shark catfish..
Again, this is not about catfish, but about the Cyprinid Epalzeorhynchus bicolor, better known as Labeo bicolor.

Return to “Tank Talk”