Pictus Question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Radius
Location 1: Victoria, BC, Canada

Pictus Question

Post by Radius »

Hello,

I have had a single pictus cat for almost a year, and I finally decided to get him a friend, another pictus. I've read they get along with their own kind but that's not my experience.

I've had the new guy a few days but they don't get along, is this normal? Should I wait longer before deciding wether or not to keep the new guy?

Basically the old one looks as though he's trying to dominate the new guy. They're about the same size, but the old pictus sits on the head of the new one and chases him sometimes.

Should I be concerned? I thought these guys got along with each other?

Thanks!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They usually get along OK, but there are several caveats to take note of in schooling fish:

1. If you keep only two fish, the dominant one will tend to bully the weaker one. You have to keep more than two to spread the aggression (if any) around and make sure no single fish gets picked on.

2. Introducing two fish to the same tank at different times will usually result in the fish that has been in there longer bullying the newer inhabitant. Try rearranging the tank decor to see if this helps (as both fish will perceive that they are in a "new" environment).
Radius
Location 1: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post by Radius »

Ok, I see, that makes perfect sense. I had intended to re-arrange the tank as I bought a lot of mopani wood this weekend, so I'll give that a try.

I also want two more pictus in there for when I turn the tank into a fully planted environment for them, so I'll get them now and hopefully that will spread their attention to other things.

Thanks!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”