Cory behavior

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
chrisinha
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: brooklyn, ny
Interests: animals, music, photography

Cory behavior

Post by chrisinha »

About a month ago I rescued a C. paleatus because the owner said she was too old and he didnt want her anymore. So, I took her home. When she was at the store I noticed she was all the time at the surface. Since many stores dont really take care of their water params, I thought that could be the problem, but she's been doing the same here and my water params are fine. Although I have 2 HOB filters running, I thought it could be low O2, so I've added a powerhead, but she literally "sleeps" with her nose out of the water :shock:
I also noticed she likes to be hand-fed. She will come to "lick" my fingers. I'm posting a couple of pics for you to see what Im talking about, but other than that she looks pretty normal and normal behavior. Any ideas?

~christie~
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I've noticed this behavior in some Paleatus as well. But, I have never observed a Paleatus "sleeping" with a snout out of the water. Usually, that indicates Oxygen deficiency, but you've added a powerhead. Are there any other Paleatus in the tank with this female? I'm wondering if she's looking for company?
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Yep, there are three other c.paleatus, plus 4 c aeneus albino and 4 brochis splendens (sp?)

Someone on another board suggested that because she's old she wouldnt be able to hold enough air for too long on the bottom so it is easier for her to stay on the surface in case she needs to gulp air. what do you think?
~christie~
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

Looks like certain under water breathing organ malfunction if this is true.

Kind of "hanging" to suffer for life. Maybe can do some resting slope for her ? It will be really interesting.
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious
jen.nelson
Location 1: Tampa, FL
Interests: fishies, snakes, greyhounds, weightlifting, and cars

Post by jen.nelson »

The other thing that comes to mind is perhaps a swim bladder defect?
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

corydorus wrote:Looks like certain under water breathing organ malfunction if this is true.

Kind of "hanging" to suffer for life. Maybe can do some resting slope for her ? It will be really interesting.
yep. any idea how to do it? :razz:
~christie~
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

jen.nelson wrote:The other thing that comes to mind is perhaps a swim bladder defect?
well, she swims perfectly fine when she's not at the top
~christie~
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

The person you purchased this Cory from said she's "old." Any idea how old? :?:
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

No, the owner of the store where I got it from told me a client left her there because she was "too old" and did not want her anymore. I saw her by herself and told the owner of the store that I wanted to buy it, but she, actually,gave it to me, I did not pay for it.
~christie~
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

You say she can swim normally when not at the surface. That may not rule out a swim bladder problem, as her propulsion may counter-act that.

I'd be interested as to wether she always sits in that same corner? Does she actively swim to that location, or does she drift in?

How does she go sitting on the floor as Cory's do?

(Every time I've had a fish sit at the surface like that - I give 'em 24hrs at best!)
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Kana3 wrote:You say she can swim normally when not at the surface. That may not rule out a swim bladder problem, as her propulsion may counter-act that.

I'd be interested as to wether she always sits in that same corner? Does she actively swim to that location, or does she drift in?

How does she go sitting on the floor as Cory's do?

(Every time I've had a fish sit at the surface like that - I give 'em 24hrs at best!)
She swims just like any other cory. Goes to the bottom and sifts (sp?) it for food,like my other cories do. she doesnt hang just in the same corner. she is always at a different place. Sometimes I really think she's dead, floating, but when I look closer I see her eyes moving. If I touch her she either immediately swims to the bottom, or she "kisses" my finger :razz:

24 hours? I've had her for 2 months maybe more... and she's always had this behavior
~christie~
Kana3

Post by Kana3 »

She may have been returned for the same behaviour, misinterpreted as 'being old'. She's probably not old at all.

I've seen fish adapt the behaviour of other species in the tank, particularly if they're the last of their kind. Perhaps she was in with 'Up-side-down Catfish'?

The swimbladder angle is still a possibilty. Or maybe a Gill problem, where Oxygen exchange is impeded?
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Just an update:

I have increased the aeration in the tank. It has now besides the filter (aquaclear 70), 2 air stones and a powerhead. She has been spending more time on the bottom, still swims to the surface (she doesnt dart to gulp air like the other cories), but most of the time she is sifting the sand substrate

I'm still thinking about "building" a ramp for her to rest close to the surface though... just dont know yet how I'm going to do it. By the way, this is a HIGH tank, maybe I should put her in a LONG tank, huh?
~christie~
Mindy
Location 1: Bristol, UK

Post by Mindy »

I know someone whose paleatus cory lived for 18 years. I wonder how "old" yours is?

I have no real idea what might be causing this behaviour, by the way, so I really couldn't offer much help. Though perhaps at some point in her life, she was exposed to ammonia damage or something, which has left her gills damaged and thus breathing is impaired and she gulps at the surface? I don't know if it's possible to see her gill tissue at all... :?:
Kana3

Post by Kana3 »

I regards to the ramp, I can think of two possibilities. Construct something that 'hangs' like some fry enclosures do (maybe even modify one?).

Or lower the water level slightly, and whilst that difference is dry, silicon a bit of perspex to the side. When the water level is returned to normal, it should be slightly under the surface.

Sure that's not a tortoise in Corydorus clothing?
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I'm glad to hear she's poking at the substrate. I would think a longer tank would be most helpful to her. A 20 long or a 15 gallon with a sloping piece of driftwood may actually do the job. Do you have one of those shelves meant for air pumps? I'm wondering if you could mount it inside the tank (without the air pump, of course). This might make a nice sitting place for her. I've often seen juvenile Cories sitting on larger plant leaves. But, they can't do this once they get to their adult size. Are there any kinds of artificial plants that could tolerate her sitting on it? Just a thought. :D
Amanda
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

bronzefry wrote:I'm glad to hear she's poking at the substrate. I would think a longer tank would be most helpful to her. A 20 long or a 15 gallon with a sloping piece of driftwood may actually do the job. Do you have one of those shelves meant for air pumps? I'm wondering if you could mount it inside the tank (without the air pump, of course). This might make a nice sitting place for her. I've often seen juvenile Cories sitting on larger plant leaves. But, they can't do this once they get to their adult size. Are there any kinds of artificial plants that could tolerate her sitting on it? Just a thought. :D
Amanda
Hi Amanda! :) Thanks for replying!

I've never seen the shelves you're talking about. Do you have a picture or a link where I can see it? If you think it's gonna help, all I have to do is to find one, and I'll buy it!! I've bought a turtle ramp (those that they use to get out of the water to bask), but it turned out it actually floats above water, so it was not useful after all.

Nah, my artificial plants are not big enough for her. She likes sitting on the heater because it is placed on a horizontal position, but too far from the surface.

I've also been adding vitamin to the water, twice a week. It seems to help he general health condition. She's been more active.

Chris
~christie~
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Kana3 wrote: Sure that's not a tortoise in Corydorus clothing?
I have doubts myself :lol:
And I just bought a "turtle ramp" for her, but unfortunately it floats above the water... but I'm sure there are other types of "turtle ramp" that might help. I'll look into that

EDIT: This is what I was thinking: turtleramp

I used to have one of these, but the largest one. I gave it to a friend when my turtle got too big for it!

Thanks y'all!

Chris
~christie~
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

Amanda,

Is this what you're talking about?

It might help... I'm going to look for one at my LFS :)
~christie~
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Exactly! :wink: If that doesn't work, maybe a piece of driftwood will.
Amanda
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

i would maybee silicone a little bit of gravel to that, just for effect, and maybee comfort
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

I stopped by the fish store after my class to get the shelf pump I had ordered last week, but when I got home I found "Aida" dead :( on the bottom of the tank :(

I'm feeling horrible :cry:
~christie~
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

sorry to hear that, but don't blame yourself, you made an effort to make her time in your care more comfortable.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Definitely don't blame yourself on this one. She most likely lived longer because of the care you gave her. She may have had a devastating illness or internal injury of some sort before you got her. Or, she could have been very old! It sounds as if you made every effort to make her comfortable. That's the best you can do. I'm sorry for your loss. :(
Amanda
chrisinha

Post by chrisinha »

thank you for the kind words, guys!

i'm going to miss her... :(
~christie~

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”