3 Ancistrusses, too many?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Evelientjeh
Location 1: The Netherlands

3 Ancistrusses, too many?

Post by Evelientjeh »

Hey all!

I've got a tank with 3 ancistrusses in it and everything goed on very very well!

But, i just heard that 3 ancistrusses in my tank might be too much because of possible fights between them.

I've got a 60x30x38 cm tank. But, i have lots and lots of hiding places and caves.

All my ancistrusses have chosen a spot to live in and they leave eachother alone, while they are at their own territory.

2 of them are adults and one is almost an adult and everything goes well!

What do you guys suggest?

I'm planning on keeping them, until they might fight too much (but they never fight!) and then i will take one out and bring it to my uncles tank..

What would you do?

(i love my catfishes! so i'd rather not want to lose them!)
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

each group of fish will act differently. I have 4 albinos in a similar sized tank and they get along fine. I have 4 browns in the same sized tank and they fought a lot for the first couple weeks. I added a few more caves and they have settled down. If they get along now, they should be fine in the future. But, keep a close eye on them in that sized tank.
Evelientjeh

Post by Evelientjeh »

Ok! Thank you very much for your answer!

It was really usefull.

I will watch them closely, but i'm almost for sure that they won't harm eachother..

The adult two are together for a year now and the almost-adult is in my tank for half a year, and there are never fights between them.

They are very 'sweet' by character, even when i feed them. They all wait for their turn to eat.

Thanks again!
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: 3 Ancistrusses, too many?

Post by Marc van Arc »

Evelientjeh wrote: I've got a tank with 3 ancistrusses in it and everything goed on very very well!
But, i just heard that 3 ancistrusses in my tank might be too much because of possible fights between them.
As you say, all goes very well. You watch them every day, so you should know. Don't let anybody make you insecure by telling you that 3 BN's is too many because they have read or heard that somewhere. :wink:
Evelientjeh

Post by Evelientjeh »

I know that.. but i'm always afraid that i might 'hurt' my fish due to my own stupidity.. (i'm blond ;))

I always want the best for my catfishies and that's why i wanted an answer from the experts here on planetcatfish!

Thank you all very much!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”