Breeding C. Trilineatus Question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Oz
Location 1: West Yorkshire

Breeding C. Trilineatus Question

Post by Oz »

Hi All,

At least 3 of my 6 C. Trilineatus have started breeding activity for the first time in my community tank. It started with the male acting very strangley, shimmying and vibrating his whole body infront of one ofthe females. This went on for a number of hours until she finally adopted the T position for a minute or two and promptly charged of the back of the tank (it's a corner tank) with her pelvic fins clamped to presumably deposit her eggs. The problem is because of the way the tank is arranged, I can't easily see any eggs. This has happened with at least one other female but there seem to be no eggs. I'm guessing that the eggs are being eaten by other fish in the tank.

The question I have is whether to move the pair to my other tank (a small 30 Litre tank) that currently houses a baby Bristlenose. Would the eggs be safe in there with the Bristlenose if I move the corys back to the main tank after spawning?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated as this would be my first successfull breeding project! :D

Andy
Well I wish I was a catfish,
Swimming in, lord, the deep blue sea.
I'd have a, all you pretty women,
fishin' after me, fishin' after me,
fishin' after me. Yeah
Catfish Blues - Jimi Hendirx
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

I would assume that baby bristlenose would have a go at eating the eggs, but I am not shure.

Good luck anyway :D
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Oz

Post by Oz »

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that it would be easier to see the eggs in the smaller tank and possibley remove them to a small container with airstone if the BN did seem interested.
If i did move the eggs to a bowl or something with the airstone, do I need a heater in there as well?

Andy
fishin' after me. Yeah
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

If you keep a bowl/ice-cream[plastic] tub floating on top of the tank, it wouldn't need a heater. A small container like that would probably not keep a very even temperature if it's kept outside the tank.

I agree that bristlenoses, at least once they get a little bigger, would chew up the eggs.

--
Mats
Oz

Post by Oz »

Thanks Mats, I think I'll try that. The bristlenose is about 1 1/2 inches long at the moment - would it be a threat at this size?

Andy
fishin' after me. Yeah
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Oz wrote:Thanks Mats, I think I'll try that. The bristlenose is about 1 1/2 inches long at the moment - would it be a threat at this size?

Andy
Yeah, I'd call that large enough to munch on the eggs. If it was just a week or so old, I'd be more inclined to let them be.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”