Hello Catfishonians

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
aquatic-caves
Location 1: United States

Hello Catfishonians

Post by aquatic-caves »

Just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to being a part of this great site and maybe learning some things about these fascinating fish. :)
Custom made Lava Rock Caves n' Structures Image
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi aquatic-caves. welcome to the site.

:D
Owch
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Leigh, Lancashire, UK
Interests: Tropical freshwater - Plecs, Corys and Discus

Post by Owch »

Ive just had a look at some of your caves, amazing!
aquatic-caves

Post by aquatic-caves »

Thank you for those kind compliments. I started doing this as a hobby about 6 months ago, it helps me to relax and take my mind off things, just as my aquariums always have. I also use these myself in my own tanks. If you get a chance check out my "PlecoCave" sometime. I have a common Pleco that is growing pretty fast now after learning how to feed it with Cichlids in the tank (took me while to realize they will get their share of Algae tablets NO MATTER WHAT), Catfish have always been a favorite of mine. I look forward.

PS, why is the * symbol being put in place of the certain letters for fish names? I'm guessing it's because it is improper naming.
Phathead6669
Location 1: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Interests: Cars, Sports, Fish(Obviously)

Post by Phathead6669 »

I can cosign Owch. I have heard of that urban myth aswell for pl*cos.

Im not sure about the chiclids though. Its probably the same urban myth but I haven't heard anything about that one.
Phathead6669
Location 1: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Interests: Cars, Sports, Fish(Obviously)

Post by Phathead6669 »

*cichlids. But I don't own any of them so I'm not worried.
Owch

Post by Owch »

All my plecs seem aOK this morning!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Phathead6669 wrote:I can cosign Owch. I have heard of that urban myth aswell for pl*cos.

Im not sure about the chiclids though. Its probably the same urban myth but I haven't heard anything about that one.
No, the reason sicklids are marked with stars is that it's a "dirty word" in Jools's dictionary. This is in return for some sicklid associations that do not acknowledge catfish in any other form than as "Scavengers". I think it's covered in the FAQ.

My personal opinion is that both are a bit silly [if someone WANTS to write p-l-star-c-o instead of p-l-e-c-o, then let them. But I'm not the web-master of this site, nor have I any aspirations of becoming one... [Although I'm happy to help out when possible] At the moment, Jools is paying, personally, for the hosting of this web-site, so if he wants to do things in a particular way, then I think we should let him...

--
Mats
aquatic-caves

Post by aquatic-caves »

I know folks have their superstitions, but I can attest to the fact that myths don't exist and myths are exactly that "myths", only truths really exist.
It is kind of a neat myth though. I will abide by the Catfish code and use the proper term "Plecostomus", after all the fish does deserve to be called by it's scientific name, the poor little guys don't ever bother any other fish, besides that, some consider them ugly, which is ashame really, because none of Gods creations are ugly to me.
As for Cichlids, I like using the term "Clids" :)
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

aquatic-caves wrote:I will abide by the Catfish code and use the proper term "Plecostomus", after all the fish does deserve to be called by it's scientific name, the poor little guys don't ever bother any other fish, besides that, some consider them ugly, which is ashame really, because none of Gods creations are ugly to me.
Amusing reply. I cut out the amusing bits just to comment on the fact that Plecostomus is no longer a valid genus... It was at one point, but the genus is now called Hypostomus. The formerly known Plecostomus plecostomus is now called Hypostomus Plecostomus... And this fish, nowadays, is fairly rarely traded. It's either Pterygoplichthys spp. or more exotic varieties in other genera.

--
Mats
racoll

Post by racoll »

I don't think anyone in their sane mind actually thinks their fish will die if they write pleco without the *.

It's just a bit of fun.

besides, in the UK we call them plecs and not plecos. Having spent too much time on this forum, i keep saying pleco in the LFS.

Imagine my embarassment!
:oops:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

racoll wrote:I don't think anyone in their sane mind actually thinks their fish will die if they write pl*co without the *.

It's just a bit of fun.

besides, in the UK we call them plecs and not pl*cos. Having spent too much time on this forum, i keep saying pl*co in the LFS.

Imagine my embarassment!
:oops:
Carrying this thread even further in the tangential direction: I work for a US company, reading/writing on two international fora, and was born in Sweden, watching TV programs from both the US and England, so I'm utterly confused when it comes to which word to use where... Not just when it comes to pleco's/plec's, but lots of different words that are not the same in the two "similar" languages... When I first arrived in England, I went out to find a petrol station, except I used the american term: Gas Station. No-one knew what I was asking for, and I realized after a little bit that I was asking for the wrong thing, and after correcting myself I eventually managed to get there... ;-)
[Some would probably say that not much have changed, except that I've been known to tell my US collegues that I'm knackered, or "telling porkies", which of course means that you have to explain yourself... ;-)]
--
Mats
racoll

Post by racoll »

I think think the funniest anglo-amercican translations are...

fag and fanny.

They both mean completly different things!! :lol:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

racoll wrote:I think think the funniest anglo-amercican translations are...

fag and fanny.

They both mean completly different things!! :lol:
Yes, a former collegue of mine used to make a joke of "I'll go bum a fag" when in the US... The looks on the American's faces was quite confused... ;-)

--
Mats
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

Carry this thread one step further, I beleived that the asterix in pleco was intended to prevent massive search replies everytime someone used the p-l-e-c-o as a keyword. Just a thought, silly as it may be.

On another note...It's okay to pat your mate on the fanny in Canada but you would probably end up with a busted lip or worse in the UK.
Owch

Post by Owch »

natefrog wrote:It's okay to pat your mate on the fanny in Canada but you would probably end up with a busted lip or worse in the UK.
Oooo errrr Missus :shock:

Return to “Speak Easy”