Poisonous wood

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
iis2see
Location 1: Durham, ON. Canada

Poisonous wood

Post by iis2see »

I would like to know what wood, if any is known to be poisonous to Royal and or Phantom plecos?
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Re: Poisonous wood

Post by djw66 »

iis2see wrote:I would like to know what wood, if any is known to be poisonous to Royal and or Phantom pl*cos?
I would stay away from evergreen woods - pine, cedar - as the fish in question would not benefit from the resins within even weathered (drift) wood. However, most wood designated for aquarium use would be just fine with your loricaria, unless of course, they are treated with polyurethane.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

I believe a piece of white cedar driftwood killed one of my Panaque nigrolineatus a few years ago.
I aquired it in a local stream and no longer use cedar. The wood I use now for Royals is African root
(Welaby Wood) and it originates from South Africa. The best quality of this wood is that it sinks
when dry. African root is usually available from your LFS and I would suggest that you boil pieces
before they are used since they tend to discolor aquarium water. Even after boiling, African root
will still leach out brown-yellow color for several months.
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”