Bullhead, Mississippi river, Illinois.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
snm
Location 1: IL

Bullhead, Mississippi river, Illinois.

Post by snm »

Caught this with a net off shore. I have caught other baby bullheads that are pure black in color, but this one seems to be a light brown. Here is the best pic I could take. He hides a lot, so I can't take a better one right now.

I am thinking it could be a yellow bullhead, but I am not sure.
Thanks,
Steve

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

From the size of the adipose fin, I think it's more likely a tadpole madtom. A better picture should confirm the ID.
snm

Post by snm »

I was just looking at them, and I does look like either the tadpol or brown madtom....i'll try and take a better pic if i can get it. anything I should lookfor that will tell them apart? the cat-elog pics of them are not the best either.

this one did sting my mom in the finger, and she said her whole hand hurt all day!
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

It's unlikely to be a brown madtom, since these are not found so far north. Judging from your mom's experience, I'd say that's a madtom alright.
Orbital
Location 1: Bettendorf, Iowa
Interests: African Cichlids and Synodontis

Post by Orbital »

Do madtoms occur in Lakes that are fed by the Mississippi? We caught something like that that we thought was a bullhead. But in a tank full of bullheads you could tell that it was not one.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

This depends on the species, but tadpole madtoms occur in many habitats, even lakes.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Check the tailfin, easiest part.

a bullhead has a regular "run off the mail" tailfin, separate from the other fins.

the Madtom has a weird tail, it goes "round the edges" of the tail, like a tadpole or an Axoltl-salamander.
Valar Morghulis
snm

Post by snm »

Thank you! I never heard of a Madtom before joining this site. Glad I was able to catch one... i'll try again next year to get a few more :) It is definitly a Tadpole Madtom!

Thanks again,
Steve

Return to “What is my catfish?”