Which Loricariidae would be suitable for my tank???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
stuart32249
Location 1: Preston, UK

Which Loricariidae would be suitable for my tank???

Post by stuart32249 »

Hi,

I have recently bought myself a 30"x12"x12" tank and I would like to put a suitable PLECO in. I have a couple of Guppies and a few Tetra's in at the moment.

I would like a reasonably attractive one which would also keep the algae down.

Please could you let me know of any suitable Plecos

Cheers Stu...[/b]
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

I would suggest one of the Chaetostoma species. They are great algae eaters, prefer
peaceful aquariums, and stay fairly small (3"-4"). Plus they are one of my favorites.
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't know about the attractiveness, that's an eye and beholder sort of thing, but Common Bristlenoses are good algae eaters, easy to get hold of and if you a female and a male, you'll almost certainly get babies.

More exotic variations of bristlenoses are possibly also more pretty to the common observer, and more difficult to find. For example: .

Chaetostoma is a another good suggestion, but beware that they prefer rather cool water (24'C or so, not higher), and like to have LOTS of current. This may not suit guppies, as they tend to like still water better.

, Pitbull Pleco might be another option.

The more exotic variations, such as or would look very nice, but aren't particularly good at eating algae.

--
Mats
stuart32249

Post by stuart32249 »

Thankyou Both your reply!!

Asked a couple of my local Aquatic Dealers for Availability on your reccommendations and they are struggling. Therefore I may have to go with Ancistrus sp(3).

Would it possible to have Two of these in my tank or I am asking too much??

Cheers again for your replies
Stu....
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

stuart32249 wrote:Thankyou Both your reply!!

Asked a couple of my local Aquatic Dealers for Availability on your reccommendations and they are struggling. Therefore I may have to go with Ancistrus sp(3).

Would it possible to have Two of these in my tank or I am asking too much??

Cheers again for your replies
Stu....
Two would work fine in a 30" x 12" x 12" tank. If they are big enough, you should be able to pick out a pair, but then need to be about 1.5-2" long, and they are often smaller when sold in the shops. Of course, if they do breed, you'll have 50-80 babies to bring up and sell to the shop.

Note that is often sold as Ancistrus sp. L183 or just L183, and not "Dolichopterus", and it shouldn't be VERY hard to get hold of , but obviously "Common bristlenose" would be easier to find. Pitbull Pleco is also sold as LDA25, often as Peckoltia L15, and of course as L260. Asking for "the right thing" might help you finding it.

--
Mats
stuart32249

Post by stuart32249 »

Cheers Mats...

Been on to my local aquatics shop. He cant get the "Dolichopterus" but can get me a "scribbled" Plec. He told me they were similar to the L260.

Do you, or anybody else, know if it will be OK for my Tank??

Cheers Stu..
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Scribbled plecos are typically L066, not good algae eaters although otherwise not a bad community pleco.

Jools
stuart32249

Post by stuart32249 »

Thanxs Jools..
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Stuart PM'd me about a potential candiate of "Clown Pleco". I thought it made more sense to answer in the public for several reasons...

First of all, the common name Clown Pleco can mean a few different fish, most likely either one of these or .

is the one that "officially" should be called Clown Pleco, but like so many other fish in the trade, the shops, importers and exporters aren't always doing the right thing when it comes to the identity of species...
This fish is not really an algae eater. I've got three of them, and although I currently have no algae in the tank, if I add a stone with algae, I never see the Clown pleco go for that stone. On the other hand, give them a piece of wood, or some bamboo, and they will be very happy. They also eat the odd algae wafer and love the skin off courgette (a.k.a zucchini in other parts of the world).

I've also got some Peckoltia Vittata, Candy-stripe pleco. They are omnivorous, preferring meaty foods (algae wafers or sinking pellets such as Tetra bits and blood-worms for example). They will probably eat algae if there's nothing else to eat, but calling them good algae eaters would be like saying a VW Polo is a big car... It's only big if you compare it to a Smart-Car... ;-)

--
Mats
stuart32249

Post by stuart32249 »

Cheers Matsp...

Finally bought my Pleco yesterday and settled for a Panaque Maccus. Everything seems OK and he looks quite happy stuck to one of my plants.

I have put a piece of bogweed in for him, but is there anything else I could put in which would be of benefit?

Once again, Cheers Mats

Stu...
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

stuart32249 wrote: I have put a piece of bogweed in for him, but is there anything else I could put in which would be of benefit?
Feed it with a bit of courgette, potato or melon once or twice a week.

You'll see if it's a he or she on the "hairyness" on the tail.

--
Mats
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:8)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Post by Deb »

Stuart, just to add to what Mats said, if possible try to supply two or three pieces of wood, even if they are small, and again if possible, try to get different kinds. This may mean combining driftwood and bogwood. Also, if you have sand he will burrow and carve out a little trench for himself. If you don't have sand, try to set up your tank with two or three "caves," or secret areas for him. They love to stake out a little home, and even more, they love to make one in the sand under their favorite piece of wood.
These are just my experiences. They are a wonderful fish!
Good luck with him.

Deborah
stuart32249

Post by stuart32249 »

Thankyou both for your replies. Gonna try and get him some more wood.

Will let you know how he's going on!

Cheers Stu..

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”