Rhamdia Quelen

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Piranha
Location 1: Hong Kong

Rhamdia Quelen

Post by Piranha »

:o Could anyone told me how this species(Rhamdia Quelen)is aggressive or not?
Rhamdia Quelen is a expensive fish?? Which anyone can share your experience!

Thanks!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

These are best kept with other robust fish, but even then, you can expect some fighting to occur (although the Rhamdia might actually come off the worse in these encounters). Conspecifics will beat each other up unless given enough space.

Read the CotM article for more info.
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

I had 2 myself, and they grew to about 25cm TL before I had to give them up. If they weren't biting barbels off or splitting eachother's fins, they were doing it to the other catfish. Eventually I had to keep each one by itself w/ a male Crenicichla reticulata, and I felt they deserved more space..

It took the shop forever to sell them, so nowadays I imagine they're terrorizing jack dempseys & red devils in 55g tanks...hehe
Psy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 1: NJ, USA

Post by Psy »

Where are you finding these guys?

I'm looking for a robust (big, tough and looks like a catfish ;)) catfish but I think I'll have to start looking into catching a bullhead instead of buying rhamdia. [with fishing licence pricing, it would probably be cheaper to buy the imported rhamdia!]
Piranha
Location 1: Hong Kong

Post by Piranha »

:D Thanks All!
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Psy wrote:Where are you finding these guys?
Well my first was a "rescue" that was severely injured by someone's piranhas, then given to the shop I found it at. That was early last year, then early this year I found another going under the name of "gracilis cat" (imported at 8"TL & not looking much like Pimelodella). I also know of at least one other Rhamdia being kept here in MI.

Like I expected, one of them showed up again at the same shop I gave mine to. So just keep an eye out & ask your local shops to order a couple "Pimelodella" when they see them on their lists!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”