Four new Akysis

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Four new Akysis

Post by Silurus »

Ng, HH & WJ Rainboth, 2005. Four new species of Akysis (Teleostei: Siluriformes: Akysidae) from mainland Southeast Asia, with comments on A. similis. The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, Supplement 13: 33â??42.

Abstract

Four new species of Akysis are described from mainland Southeast Asia in this study: Akysis filifer, A. fuliginatus and A. nitidus are described from the Mekong River drainage, while A. clinatus is described from the Stung Chhay drainage in southwest Cambodia. Both A. clinatus and A. fuliginatus belong to the A. variegatus species group while A. filifer and A. nitidus belong to the A. pseudobagarius species group. The fresh coloration and additional remarks are provided for A. similis, another species from mainland Southeast Asia.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Pdf now available. Contact me if interested.
Osmium
Location 1: Scotland
Interests: Mathematics, fish. chess, and extreme observation .

Post by Osmium »

Definately, Silurus,

Do we need anything 'stronger' than Adobe Acrobat Reader v5.0? :lol: - apart from a 'cat's' natural curiosity and obvious intelligence (incomparable to your own) :) ?

Nick
Never turn your back on a true friend (fish or otherwise).
Bathycetopsis
Interests: SYSTEMATICS, BIODIVERSITY, NEW SPECIES

Pdf

Post by Bathycetopsis »

PDF for me please !
michal.miksik@gmail.com
Thanks
Osmium

Akysis spp.

Post by Osmium »

:D Indeed! I have had the great pleasure and honour of reading this report and can highly recommend it. There's some astounding stuff in there including a reference to a brackish cat :!:(A. similis)

Nick
Batasio
Location 1: Berlin / Germany
Interests: small asian catfishes & freshwater Decapoda

Post by Batasio »

Hello Heok Hee,
can you give the Type locality for the new Akysis, please?
Kind regards, Jörn
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Akysis clinatus - Cambodia: Stung Chhay River, Tok Kong village on road from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, 10°56'37.8"N 113°47'47.4"E

Akysis filifer - Cambodia: Kandal, Tonle Sap, fishing lot 8, 22 miles upstream from Phnom Penh, 11°44'N 104°50'E

Akysis fuliginatus - Cambodia: Stung Treng province, Mekong River on W edge of Kaoh Han, 16 km NE of Stung Treng, 13°38'N 106°3'E

Akysis nitidus - Laos: Champasak province, Mekong River at Ban Hang Khone, just downstream from Khone falls
Batasio

Post by Batasio »

Thank you very much for your help!
Osmium

Akysis spp.

Post by Osmium »

In a naiive sort of way)]; it is somehow extremely refreshing to realise, that some of the much more advanced academeia(in every sense of the word) are prepared to share just a little of their world with us.

Words like 'thanks','appreciation' and 'humility' spring easily to mind. This is not merely a 'reminder' to myself; but an independent thought about all the very hard work and analysis that has gone into the dissertation regarding Akysis spp.

For those like this, and those that have gone before them, we should be very grateful. Such knowledge can sometimes come at an extremely high price.

Vive les poissons,

Nick
Batasio

Akysis ssp.

Post by Batasio »

Hello Nick,

I know some about the very hard work scientific analysis and fieldwork, and I know the (sometimes) high price for knowledge. I have e.g. the descriptions about Akysis fuscus Ng & Kottelat 1996, A. clavulus Ng & Freyhof 2003, A. vespa Ng & Kottelat 2004 and A. hardmani Ng & Kottelat 2005 (Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters -> pdf. via Pfeil Verlag) but a many Publications for free from the H.H.Ng-webside too.

And for all this, whith great respect: Thank you very much Heok Hee Ng (and all)!

I'm sorry for my bad English!:oops:

Regards from Berlin, Jörm

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”