Things to do...things to do...

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
wizkidd26
Location 1: Hampshire, IL

Things to do...things to do...

Post by wizkidd26 »

It's been such a long time since I've posted on this website. AND this is a long post, so get a can of whatever beverage suits you. But here goes...

Prior to this, I had a homemade filter in which a Rio 3100 would pump water through a layer of fabric, carbon and two layers of fabric through a 55 gallon plastic bin before going into the tank. What happened was, after two and a half years of faithful functioning, when I got rid of my fish (a LARGE Northern Pike 31+"), the filter mysteriously decided to get leaky. I don't want to use this homemade filter anymore and would like a proven system that works well over time.

I DO NOT want to use a large filtering system (like a pool system) because not only are they noisy, there is only one outlet/inlet for the water and it will make it likely that the PVC will leak around the seams if I try to route the water. PLUS, it will look just plain ugly like that. *Sigh* I'm sure you can see my dilemma.

I have a 500 gallon tank (roughly 8'X4'X2'). First and foremost...what kind of filtering system should I use? I have been considering using a "river tank" setup for native fish here (North America). This will require several powerheads, I know. Problem is this; I don't know (ok, I'm not sure) which kind to buy and how to set up the system for this. I plan on having suckers/redhorse along with MAYBE some longear sunfish and madtoms (no bullheads) for this setup.

Plus, the substrate is varied (YES, THIS IS IN THE TANK RIGHT NOW). One section of the tank has large rocks about the size of a child's head (covers a quarter of the tank). Another (half the tank) section has three inch diameter rocks with a "tree root" section covering half of that section in it. Finally, the last section is a blank canvas in which I'm thinking about installing some "weeds".

The second setup I have in mind is a "lake" setup. Basically, it's what it says. I just don't know what to use for a tank of that magnitude. I wouldn't be asking if it was a mere 125 gallon tank, just put on a couple of large overhanging filters. This setup can include smallmouth bass, sunfish, bluegills, etc. I may put in some bullheads or madtoms.

I don't think I will entertain suggestions as to what fish to put in there because I do not want to heat the tank, it's WAY too much for that size. Try to focus on this; setup (2 types), what will be required for both and possibly links to the materials.

THANKS FOR HELPING!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

How about using multiple Eheim (or other brands) of external canister filters. Multiple filters have several benefits:
1. If one breaks, you still have another mature and functional filter working. It's not full capacity, but it's better than having zero functional mature filter(s).
2. You can service one filter whilst the other is still working, so clean one filter one week, and the next one the next week (or month or whatever).
3. It allows for flexible management of the flow of water around the tank, by arraning the inlet/outlets of the tank in many different ways.

There's of course also the possibility of using a sump-filter, by adding, for instance, a 55 gallon tank under the current tank. Using an aquarium tank, rather than some PVC tub or similar, will reduce the risk of leaks etc. This would probably necessitate the drilling of the current 500 gal. tank, but I'm sure it can be achieved. You'd need a decent pump to return the water to the actual tank.

As to the river tank... For a cool-water tank, the heat generated by the powerheads may cause a problem, as it heats up the tank. Especially if you want some decent water-flow in the tank, you'll probably add something like 100W to the tank...

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Mats is correct about the powerheads and native US fishes. A few powerheads can really raise the tank's temperature substantially.
With regards to filtration, a sump type system is probably the best way to go when dealing with that much water. Since you do not want a DIY system (and I can certainly understand why) you might check out Marineland's Tidepool system. These are very easy to work with and require no drilling.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/sho ... asp?id=279

Two of these with seperate overflows/prefilters would do the job, especially if combined with a nice fluidized bed filter. Pentair makes a fluidized bed filter that is rated to 900 gallons and costs under US $100.

http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION% ... ainbow.asp

With an oversized fluidized bed you would have all the bio filtration necessary and then it would be up to you how much mechanical and/or chemical filtration you think you need.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

It sounds incredible and I'd love to see photos. Please find a link to a recent thread where sumps have been discussed:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=11548

I imagine you could upsize any of the suggestions given to suit your needs. Please let us know how you do! :wink:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I had an odd idea. It may be whacked, but it's a thought. How about a pond filter? :idea:

Return to “Tank Talk”