Plecos safe with Tigrinus Catfish??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Blackwater
Location 1: Michigan

Plecos safe with Tigrinus Catfish??

Post by Blackwater »

How risky is it to put Plecos in with a Tigrinus??
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

As long as the pleco is fairly large compared to the tigrinus, I should think that it's safe. [It's one of the recommended tankmates on the tigrinus page in the cat-eLog, so I expect that it's not immediately seen as a food-source].

Obviously, a 2" pleco with a 10" tigrinus will probably not work, but the other way around should be perfectly fine. Something like a , or just larger common pleco's (shouldn't be too hard to find some of them, as most LFS take back bigger specimens that have outgrown their current home). The big panaque species are good because they have larger bodies than some other genera, and that helps preventing an attack.

Obviously, the tigrinus will probably grow a bit faster than most pleco's, so it's a good idea to start with a rather large one, so that the tigrinus doesn't catch up to it too soon.

Keep the tigrinus well-fed, and it will be less likely to look for "other sources of food".

Finally, every fish has individiual traits, and it may be that your particular fish is extremely viscous or benign compared to others of the same specie. I can't tell that from your e-mail, obviously.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”