I have a problem with my Loricaria (papiloma)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
gunnlaugr
Location 1: Guatemala
Interests: loaches, exotic tropical fish

I have a problem with my Loricaria (papiloma)

Post by gunnlaugr »

I was examining my fish the other they and noted that my loricaria had a growth at the end of its tail. It looked like a bunch of fish eggs (orange). I think it´s a papiloma, so can anyone help me on treatment for this disease? thanks in advance.
fish: you gotta love 'em!
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

It is a virus and no medication exist for treatment but mostly this is easy to treat because it sit's on the fins most of the time. Just take your fish up and cut with a sharp scissor or better if you have a scalpel without to breake the abscess, if you let it grow it will breake after a while and dissapear but that will also release the virus in the water and other fishes can be infected.
This you can do if the abscess only cover a part of their fins...not the body, if possible you can put the fish in their own tank for healing and added something against bacteria and fungus so the wound not will be infected...the fin grows normally back depending how close to the body you have to cut.

Janne
gunnlaugr
Location 1: Guatemala
Interests: loaches, exotic tropical fish

Post by gunnlaugr »

Sorry for the late reply, anyway thanks for the advise, i'll do as you say. Wish me luck!!
fish: you gotta love 'em!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”