Zebra Plecs Sharing Cave!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Fish Soup
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Penna. USA

Zebra Plecs Sharing Cave!

Post by Fish Soup »

For about 24 hours now. No eggs yet. I have been doing 50% cool water changes for a few days now. Should I continue until they spawn or leave them alone for now?

Don
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

I'd leave them alone for now. But that's just me. I'm no expert.
evdzwaag
Location 1: netherlands

Post by evdzwaag »

I would leave them alone for now, since it can take them several days in the cave to spawn.
Fish Soup

Post by Fish Soup »

Well, It wasn't breeding activity but a fight over a cave. The looser was found outside the cave this AM, much skin and fin missing. I QTed him but he died around 5 tonight.

I had read a post here about this happening. I feel bad that I didn't realize what was going on at the time. I had the knowledge, and now the experience. But at the cost of a Zebra.

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ad38mo.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ad27rg.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ad10nm.jpg

I can't bring myself to show the pictures directly. Click if you dare.

Don
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

Sorry to hear that Fish Soup :cry: I've lost a few zebras along the way, and I know how you feel. At least it wasn't a female that was lost. Hopefully some new fry will cheer you up soon!!!
Fish Soup

Post by Fish Soup »

Thanks Fishnut2. I was just at your website tonight watching the Zebra video.

I got these from Pete, and emailed him yesterday all excited about the coming "spawn". Can you imagine the greif I'm going to hear now?

I'm down to a single female now. Lost a wavey lined female on it's second night with me. Now at 3m and 1f. Not good.

Don
jerms5
Location 1: LOS ANGELES

Post by jerms5 »

I feel for you bro!!!! That is a pretty severe fight!!!! Are you sure the other one did that alone??? Dam I have never seen it that bad!!!! Well maybe the other male now has dominance and will spawn with the last female!!!! Caqn I ask how big your tank is??Good Luck !!!!
Fish Soup

Post by Fish Soup »

Yep, I'm a sure as I can be that it was only one fish. Here's how it went down.

The five fish were QTed in a ten gallon for about 2 months when I moved them to a 15 about a month ago. Last Friday evening I did a water change and, as is my habit, I did a head count afterwards. Could only find four of them. I looked all thru the tank and on the floor, still only four. So I started breaking down the tank, fearing I had buried one moving the gravel around. All the fish in caves came out as soon as I moved them, except one. He went in and would not come out. I actually removed the cave and looked inside with a flashlight. Found the two in there, one all the way at the back. The other blocking him in.

Blinded by my desire to have my first Zebra spawn, I returned them and set the tank back up. I even set up a cam on the cave so I could watch from a distance and snap some pics. I never saw either fish leave the cave.

Sunday morning I found the fish in the picture, still alive and trying to hide under the sponge filter. I set up a quick QT with the water from the 15 and added a half tab of Jungle Fungus Clear to ward off any secondary infection. He died around 5pm Sunday evening.

I had read about this and should have looked closer. But at the time I was in a bit of a panic looking for the missing fish. I was just happy to find it, and very happy that they appeared to be spawning.

I have looked over all the remaining fish, not a mark on any of them. So it looks like the alpha desided to move, and started eating the original owner out of house and home.

Don
TheSydMonster
Location 1: Colorado, USA

Post by TheSydMonster »

So sorry for you loss, poor little guy looks terrible! :( good luck with the rest of the ones you have!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”