Stocking a new tank!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
zenkatydid
Location 1: Sydney

Stocking a new tank!

Post by zenkatydid »

I've got a brand new 4ft tank (approx 48 gal, footprint 4ftx12in) that I would love to fill with catfish and loaches, but am driving myself absolutely NUTS trying to find a group of fish that are compatible, and will fit with their minimum schooling requirements.

I LOVE pictus cats and upside-down cats but am starting to think I can't have any at all, because to have 1, I need 6. That's 12 fish right there... not really possible. Any comments on keeping these guys in small groups?

I would also love clown loaches and yoyo loaches, but I've never seen yoyo's in shops around here... maybe I can order them in. Would two of each be sufficient? Would they group together? Maybe I should just get 4 of one species?

Finally, I would love a couple of plecos, can anyone tell me some species that don't grow to more than about 15cm, are easily obtainable and not too expensive? I could just go with the good old bristlenose, which are cheap and chips and everywhere, but not quite as interesting ;)

Thanks for your help!
Katy :D
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

You could have six upside-downs and six pictus in a tank that size, so long as you don't add them all at once.

I would suggest a Rusty pleco. I don't remember its L-number but you can find it in the Cat-eLog by searching for the common name.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I would try Panaque Maccus. Its always been a favorite of mine, just don't forget to add some wood.
zenkatydid

Post by zenkatydid »

I could have 12 4-inch fish in that tank?? That seems overcrowded to me... but hey, I'm the bigger here. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I have the panaque maccus listed in my "small plecos to look for" list. Which one, or ones, I get will depend entirely on what I can find.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't know the size of Yoyo-loaches, but certainly Clown Loaches get to about 11-12" long, so they would be too large for that sort of tank. Sure, they don't grow very quickly, so you have some time to think about getting a bigger tank, but it's worth considering now, so you can plan for it...

As to 12 x 4" fish, that would be one inch per gallon, which is one of the rough estimates of the "amount of fish per gallon". However, this is just a guideline, and the actual amount that you can keep in a certain size tank depends on many factors:
1. Water change regime.
2. Filtration.
3. Decorations/arrangement in the tank.
4. Fish's needs.

One way to determine the stocking level is to check the nitrate level on a regular basis. If the nitrate level is regularly below 25 ppm at the end of your water change regime, you can add more fish. If it starts going much higher than that, you either need to improve your water changes, filtration, or reduce the amount of fish.

Of course, one other factor to consider is the fact that if you buy juvenile fish (such as a 3" Pictus cat), it will grow, and as it grows, will produce more waste. So take this into consideration when deciding on what you stock in the tank...

--
Mats
zenkatydid

Post by zenkatydid »

i'm aware that clowns can get big, though they apparently rarely go over about 6". obviously, though, i would need to look at a bigger tank - or a rehome - if that happened. yoyo loaches grow to about 5" max. they are my preferance, it just depends what i can find.

i'm aware the inch per gallon rule is a bit dodgy, but it's all i have to estimate against at the moment. at the moment i have a total of about 40 inches, to leave some room spare.
dag
Location 1: Calgary , Alberta , Canada

stocking

Post by dag »

Hi Kat

I would go with at least 3 of whatever loach you choose . I find the great joy in observing their social interactions made all the better when there are a group rather than a pair . I am biased in favor of the clown loaches being the most entertaining but others may have different opinions about that . If you can , get 4 . I started with 3 then added another and I really enjoy their group behavior . They dont grow too fast so you will have time to move into a bigger tank , which you will need to do in time . Just keep in mind that they are easily stressed when relocating and ick is quite common with these guys during this time . Hope you find the right mix for you .

Cheers
Dag
?In relation to animals, all people are Nazis; for [them] it is an eternal Treblinka.?
? Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991), Yiddish writer and vegetarian
zenkatydid

Post by zenkatydid »

well, it seems that the only loaches available in australia are clown and kuhli. all the others - including yoyo - are illegal to import or sell. crapola!

guess i'm getting clowns then! and yeah, i'll go with 3.
MDOU
Location 1: far north Queensland, Australia
Interests: fish.......australian Eel-tailed cats

Post by MDOU »

yoyo's, botia sidthimunki and botia hymenophysa will be available for legal import as of september 7th thish year, so dont rule them out yet!

there are also other loaches out there like: botia dario, botia beauforti, botia morleti, botia lecontei and rarely botia modesta

i've herd of other loaces being around but these are the only ones that i ever see
answering the great questions of life
Nick's forum
and yes the spam is very good
zenkatydid

Post by zenkatydid »

oooh! thank you so much for that, i will definitly hold out then!! :D

i see you're in queensland, but i don't suppose you have any idea of a good lfs in greater sydney that might look into getting them in?

Return to “Speak Easy”