Porthole Cats - Breeding Suggestions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Porthole Cats - Breeding Suggestions

Post by Beersnob »

I have 4 Porthole Cats (Dianema Longibarbis). I was curious if anyone has bred them and if there are substantial differences between the portholes and the cories. :shock:

Any special set up?

These guys are my all-time favorite cat and I'd like to have a few more around so that I can give some to the people at the fish club to keep them in the hobby. Up here in Metro-detroit, Michigan they are not so popular.

Appreciate your help.

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
Ignots
Location 1: Pottstown, PA

Dianema...

Post by Ignots »

I believe they like to lay their eggs upside-down. Try getting a cover off of a small bowl like cool whip or something similar (can be clear, but not colorless) and float it in the tank you are trying to breed them in. They should lay their eggs on it. It may require a dry/wet season to get them to initiate breeding. Remove the eggs soon after completion or the extras may start feeding on them.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

There have only been few chance spawning of this fish reported in the hobby so it's going to be no small challenge.

Shifts in water temperature and conductivity have both been suggested (dry season cycling) in their reproduction. I know of several aquarists that have tried several different approaches, thus far without success.

For this species anyway, the actual spawning triggers are not known yet.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

What tank size would be best if setting up a species tank for Port Hoplos? :?: Quantity of 2 or 4?
Beersnob
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

Can you specify what Dry/Wet Season means? I think I need to hear it on a layman's terms.

What I have seen so far suggests a 20-gallon tank for 3 to 5 of them.

If I have success it looks like I'll have a good article to write.

Ian - do you have any ideas?
Beersnob

MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Beersnob wrote:Can you specify what Dry/Wet Season means? I think I need to hear it on a layman's terms.

What I have seen so far suggests a 20-gallon tank for 3 to 5 of them.

If I have success it looks like I'll have a good article to write.

Ian - do you have any ideas?
Dry season: Higher conductivity (hardness) of the water, higher temperature and lower water quality.
Wet season: sudden drop in both temperature and conductivity, followed by slowly rising temperature, very clean water.

So to simulate Dry season, you raise the temp setting on the heater by a small amount (up to 3'C/6'F), don't change water as often.

To simulate wet season, frequent RO water in your water changes, turn off/down the heater by about 5'C/10'F. After a week or so, get the heater back to the original setting. Continue with normal water change frequency, using some RO water...

--
Mats
Ignots
Location 1: Pottstown, PA

Dianema..

Post by Ignots »

Yes, thats a good description of the dry/wet season. I would only add that this occurs over a 6-12 week period. In the end of the dry season, water may only be 3-4", no filtration, lots of ammonia present, live foods present. Ends suddenly with abundant live foods and return to normal conditions. The longer the better when it comes to hard to breed fish as it more closely approximates normal season cycling.
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Thanks guys..I'll keep you informed....Us non-technical people appreciate the lay-man description. thanks.
Beersnob

Alan_au
Location 1: Caboolture, QLD, Australia
Interests: aquaculture, angling,gardening

Post by Alan_au »

Beersnob,

Read all you can find on breeding 'hoplo' catfish. The method is the same.

I have spawmed Flagtail dianemas a couple of times and they are the same as 'hoplos'.

My water supply is soft neutral and I have found that I have to add salt and shell grit in the filters to harden the water to keep the Flagtails happy and breeding.

Fatten mature fish for few weeks on all the live worms etc that they can eat, water change, reduce water current so as not to dislodge eggs and mak sure the 'lid' or what ever you provide for the bubble nest is secured in one place.

Alan.

PS..not being a trusting sole, I have raised the fry seperate so far,,,,,,yet to test the parenting of the male.
When life gives you lemons ask for a bottle of tequila & salt.
The only danger I find in life is to take too many precautions, some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”