The Spawn of the Corydoras Hastatus.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MaGiC
Location 1: GREECE-ATHENS

The Spawn of the Corydoras Hastatus.

Post by MaGiC »

I bought 4 Corydoras Hastatus about two months ago (size 1cm). Some days later I found two of them dead. So with the rest two left , I was so lucky to have a pair. I was feeding them well and giving them water changes about 10% twice a week. About two weeks ago after a 40% water change something unexpected happened.
Today I can count 5 small corys (+ 5 dead I found in the filter). They seem to grow fast without any problems. I hope they survive.

Here are some pics from the pair and the youngsters (about a week old).

upikabu
Location 1: Brisbane, Australia

Post by upikabu »

Wow, congrats! tup
I just got some (11) Hastatus myself last week and they're also about 1cm only (so tiny). How big are the parents now? I thought it might take them mine at least another 3-6 months before they mature.
Oh, and any tips on what you've been feeding them and how? Mine are not voracious eaters (unlike my other, bigger corys). Thanks for any tips!
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

I have kind of similar story. Got a dozen a year ago.
They die down to 4 due to various reasons. A month ago they breeded ... and 6 frys already grown up to their parent colour. Half a dozen more frys on the way to let me exceed the original numbers.

Hastatus frys are relatively small. I would watch on their diet development daily if do not have a feeding plan.

- Dennis Wang
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious
MaGiC
Location 1: GREECE-ATHENS

Post by MaGiC »

Thanks a lot.
Well , the parents now are about 2cm (male) and 2.5cm the female.

Iam feeding them the same food iam giving to my discus. Τetra Prima , Tetra Bits , Sera Premium Discus granulat ,Wattley flakes, beef heart,blood worms, mysis + Sera Catfish Chips and Sera Viformo (always feeding in small quantities 3 times per day).

The last 4 days iam feeding the fry with Sera Micron.

I have them in a 15 lit tank with a plastic plant a small filter and the temp is set to 26 degrees celsius with ph about 7 and kh 4.

Any suggestions for feeding the fry?
corydorus
Location 1: Singapore and Taiwan
Interests: Books, Corys and Planted Tank

Post by corydorus »

I have been very successful with BBS.
Dennis Wang aka CoryDorus
corydorus@msn.com

ImageImage
Link: MyPrecious

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”