Sexing and breeding Ancistrinae sp. L239

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Oscar
Location 1: Madrid, Spain
Location 2: Madrid
Interests: catfish, photography

Sexing and breeding Ancistrinae sp. L239

Post by Oscar »

I've this fish for a 3 months, and I think it's a male.

somebody had any experience breeding this sp.?

Thanks in advance.

Regards. :)
j4782
Location 1: Chicago

Post by j4782 »

from the relative size of your fish to the gravel, I'd say it's still too young to tell.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Using gravel as a "relative-size" measure isn't a particularly useful method. If those bits of gravel are fist-sized, then the fish would be quite bit, but if the pieces of gravel are almost sand, the fish is only half an inch long. THere's no way to tell that from the picture.

I somehow suspect that it's fairly coarse gravel (6-8 mm), and that the fish is around 4" (100mm) long. I'd call it a male with those cheek odontodes, but I reserve judgement until I get confirmation that it's the size I guess it is...

I couldn't find any breeding reports on this site, aside from a failed spawn in a post by Janne. That was over a year ago, so it may be that Janne has had more success by now.

--
Mats
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

They are mature from around 8 cm and males get huge odontodes on the cheek and pectoral fins that the female lacks almost completely. I have not succeeded yet with them to spawn but they show interest at a low pH around 6.0 and very soft water.

Janne
Oscar
Location 1: Madrid, Spain
Location 2: Madrid
Interests: catfish, photography

Post by Oscar »

Excuse me for the delay in answering, and excuse me too, I not tell the fish's size. He weighs around 7-8 cm.

Thanks for the remarks and the data.
Janne wrote:They are mature from around 8 cm and males get huge odontodes on the cheek and pectoral fins that the female lacks almost completely.

Janne
Janne, does That mean to say that the juvenile fishes don't evidence a difference?, the females lack they who than have?

Regards. :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”