Does the Blue Panaque L-239 eat plants??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Rene MG
Location 1: Xalapa,México
Location 2: Veracruz
Interests: All Catfish

Does the Blue Panaque L-239 eat plants??

Post by Rene MG »

Hi, I got one Blue Panaque (L -239) and I'm not sure If these beautiful Loricarid likes to eat plants.. due to my tank is full of them... Can It eat them??? experiencies..?? stories..?? some that can make an idea.. what would happen?? :P
And another question.. How large it reaches?

REgards and Thanks in advance :D
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Rene,
Never seen them go near plants.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Rene MG

Post by Rene MG »

Hi , Shane.
Never seen them go near plants.
So..in its wild habitat or in aquarium..?

Because I woudln't like to see my tank...empty in a few days.. :shock:

Thanks.. Gracias por la respuesta.

:D
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There are no plants in its natural environment and I have never seen them molest plants in the aquarium. Natural habitat is large dark-colored stones and tan colored sand with a fair flow. Water is not quite "black" but is very dark.
I took these in Puerto Carreno, Colombia. Venezuela is on the otherside of the river. Look by the boats and you can see the sand and color of the water.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Rene MG

Post by Rene MG »

Hi.. So really thanks for your appreciate answer . It calms me dow. :)

Regards and Gracias por las tan oportunas fotos.
Judazzz
My images: 23
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Groningen, The Netherlands
Interests: Loricarids/Piranha's, Photography, Webdesign, Travelling, Electric Guitar, Webdesign, Beer...

Post by Judazzz »

Hi there,
not to freighten you or anything, but I thought I just posted my own experiences. I keep an L239 in a 50 gallon (with other pleco's), and within days after I planted half a dozen large Sword Plants most of these plants were already severely damaged. I have seem the L239 sucking on leafs, as well as an L015 I keep in the same tank, so I'm not sure who is the culprit (it could even be yet another pleco that feeds on the plants at night).

The Blue Fin often hangs on one of the side walls, which gave me a good opportunity to have a look at its mouth. And imo. it very closely resembles the suckermouth of my Gold Nugget I keep in another tank - and I'm 100% positive that Nugget is responsible for the destruction of many plants (I've seen him do it).

It's not said that my L239 is responsible for the damage on my plants, nor is it said yours will eat plants, but I wouldn't say it is an unlikely scenario either...
Oscar
Location 1: Madrid, Spain
Location 2: Madrid
Interests: catfish, photography

Post by Oscar »

Hi Rene, nice to you read you here. :D

My Ancistrinae sp. (L239) I've never seen them take a plant, also I've the sensation that isn't good with algae.

Finally I've bought one more, with the other two. :lol:

Regards.
----------------------------------------------------------
Hola Rene, encantado de leerte por aqui.

Mis Ancistrinae sp. (L239) nunca los he visto tocar una planta, y tengo la sensacion de que no son buenos con las algas.

Finalmente compre otro ejemplar mas, junto con los otros dos.

Saludos.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”