cory evelynae

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
evdzwaag
Location 1: netherlands

cory evelynae

Post by evdzwaag »

My importer says that this species used to be very rare some years ago, but that they are sometimes obtainable now. How common are they now? What would be a normal price for these cory's? And have they been bred allready?

Thanx,
Eelke
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

They are quite obviously not very common. I looked at one web-site that stock quite a bit of fish, and another site that purports to find fish for you, and neither had any of these. Searching for other, in my personal experience, somewhat rare varieties of Cory turned up anything up to three shops with stock.

doesn't talk about any breeding, so I suspect it's not bred very often, if at all.

This page seems to indicate that they can be quite pricey. But like always, price is something to be agreed between a seller and a buyer, and no seller can get more than the highest price any potential buyer is willing to pay. Comparatively cheap is this place, at "only" $150 US.

Note that neither of these prices are "available today", but rather old ones. Google is good at finding web-pages that are somewhat (or a lot) out of date...

--
Mats

--
Mats
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Far from being uncommon they are actually very rare, they originate from the upper Rio Solimoes. most of the specimens found are exported to Japan where Cory enthusiasts are prepared to pay the very hight price that is asked.

C100 is also a very similar looking and equally rare species.

Ian
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I have never seen Corydoras in the flesh. I can't remember it being available in the US. I believe it is named for Evelyn Axelrod.

Mark
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I am looking at the book named A Complete Introduction To Corydoras And Related Catfish by Dr. Warren E. Burgess. On page 63, there's a photo of Corydoras evelynae. The text under the photo is the following,"Corydoras evelynae was named for Mrs. Evelyn Axelrod. It is distinguishable by the broken band along the back from the dorsal to caudal fin." The photo is credited to Dr. Herbert Axelrod.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”