A River Runs Through It. pt. 1

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I broke down the tank to move a couple weeks ago and have not set it back up.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
nivola
Location 1: perth western australia

Post by nivola »

Like your Idea here and am wondering what piping you have used.

What should I use and what should I stay away from???
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't know what it's like in Australia. The pipes shown in Shane's pictures are (I think) PVC pipes for water distribution used in the US. I don't know if those are available in Oz, but I guess you can get some sort of pipes in the right size and have a variety of joints.

In England, I know that you can get waste-water pipes in PVC, which should work just as well. It's not any enormous pressure you're working with, so as long as the pipes don't come apart from the pressure, you should be OK.

Go to your local hardware/plumbing shop and have a look.

Alternatively, you could try the local fish shop. I have seen some companies selling plumbing for aquariums, but at three to five times the cost of local plumbing shop... :-(

By the way, you should definitely not use copper pipes. They could poision some sorts of aquatic life, including fish(snails and other invertebrates are the first to go).

--
Mats
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

As Mats pointed out, it is just regular PVC available at any Home Depot or hardware store in the Americas. The amount of pressure is so small that it is not a factor. Now the pressure in my leaky RO set up is another plumbing problem...
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I've found a monster multi-pack of teflon tape, plenty of spare jaco parts and meditation helps. I wrote to Kent Marine and asked them if they could please think about making a membrane housing for people with arthritis. You know, like easy-open tops? I never got a response. :roll:
nivola
Location 1: perth western australia

Post by nivola »

thanx guys for the help.

I asked because I have had a horror story before and seen some so I just didnt want to go down the same track again!!!

Now I just got to get the piping and some substrate and it shall be go!
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Teflon tape aka RO system Band-Aid. Love that stuff.
-Shane

Return to “Tank Talk”