Fry eating

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Psy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 1: NJ, USA

Fry eating

Post by Psy »

My bronze cories laid eggs! Unfortuantely, I was going to set my tank up as a saltwater tank next week, nothing like fish to change your plans.

I moved some to a holding device, but left more than half in the tank. Those have not been eaten. Providing any hatch (seems highly infertile this time)will the adults eat the fry if they have not eaten the eggs?
chef
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: stafford england
Interests: corydoras breeding etc

Post by chef »

possibly but i breed a couple of species with the adults in the tank and a good amount survive, but the tanks are fairly heavily planted with java moss and java fern
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

the female who laid the egg's wont eat them but any other cory's will, not to sure about the male sorry, this is a question for CORYMAN.

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
Psy
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 1: NJ, USA

Post by Psy »

Well, I have 11 of them! I swear, I see them eating eggs, and then I look, and I see more! Now that they started, they should be good from now on. Production will slow in my 55 (plecos!) But I'd bet a few will survive in there too :)

My attempt at removing them resulted in fungused eggs, so i'm glad I didnt move them all. I had no antifungal as well as nowhere to plug in and airstone :/
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I find that eggs left in the tank with the breeders get eaten. A few species such as pygmaeus will not eat their eggs or fry. As chef stated, if the tank is well planted some fry will survive. If you are able,you will do much better by removing the adults or the eggs.

Mark
reticulata
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Milwaukie, OR.
Interests: Scuba Diving, Stained Glass and Fusion

Cory Babies

Post by reticulata »

I have been sweating blood for 1 1/2 weeks trying to keep my new hatch (first attempt) of albino corys alive in their own tank. It looks like 6 out of about 30 will make it. At the same time while feeding my spawning 10 gallon tank with gravel and a sponge filter (and 8 adults) I noticed there is a baby about 3/4" long who somewhere somehow along the line hatched and has made it. Nature has it's way.
nightowl1350
Location 1: Toronto, Ont

Post by nightowl1350 »

Not sure if it works for all eggs, but for antifungal for angel eggs I use hydrogen peroxide (3mls for 10g) only if the adults are not with them.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”