New Brochis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Nik_Boyd
Location 1: Cheshire

New Brochis

Post by Nik_Boyd »

since the first time me and my gf went to our lfs there has been this one fish that always looked lonely and really sad. Today we finally got him and he is swimming aroundand is looking 100 times better in his new home. When we got him the lfs said that they had 20 to start with and he was the only one left and had been for ages. They were glad that he finally had a home.

my new fish (Brochis multiradiatus) aka jabba, BN cat fish aka hans, and pinky the jedi snail lol

Nik
Juwel Rio 180, approx. 48 US Gallon
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
2 Bristlenose Cats, 1 male, 1 female
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
4 Corys, 2 Speckled and 2 Albino
2 as yet unidentified catfish
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

is it just me, or is th image not working?
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Probably you. Picture works fine for me.

This fish is really needing some "friends"... It will behave much better if you get another 3-4 of the same kind. Might be hard to find tho'. I got some , but I had to ask the shop to get them in, as they don't stock them regularly.

--
Mats
joern
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oldenburg, Germany

Post by joern »

Hi,
MatsP wrote:This fish is really needing some "friends"... It will behave much better if you get another 3-4 of the same kind. ....
yes, that's true. BrochIs likes to scholl even more than the Cory-species. If you can't find another hognose, try B.splendens.
Other Cory's like to scholl with the Brochis. But the Brochis don't care very much about these small scale fish...it's allways a little bit like: take away the kind's... :D
And they feed a lot...
They like to stay at the front of the tank and watch out...so you will normally see him every time.

Nice fish ! Have fun with him.
best regards
Joern
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

I will get him some friends if I can but he was the last one so will have to ask my lfs to get them in for me. I have just been down to check on him and hes not doing to well and is slumped on his side. Is there anything I can give him or I should be looking for.
thanks nik
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
chrisinha
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: brooklyn, ny
Interests: animals, music, photography

Post by chrisinha »

same problem here
i just rescued a brochis splendens that had been by herself for a long time...
now i have to find her friends, was looking online yesterday but i dont know if i can trust the store and buy a fish without seeing it first. im afraid they send me the wrong fish and there i am again, trying to shoal more cories :roll: :lol:
~christie~
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

chrisinha wrote:same problem here
i just rescued a brochis splendens that had been by herself for a long time...
now i have to find her friends, was looking online yesterday but i dont know if i can trust the store and buy a fish without seeing it first. im afraid they send me the wrong fish and there i am again, trying to shoal more cories :roll: :lol:
Should be able to identify they rather exactly (well, at least to the brochis genus) by a photo of the fish with the dorsal fin. If it's got 11 rays or more it's a brochis, noticably less than this, it's not a Brochis. Anyone selling over the web should be able to produce a photo of the fish that you're buying, if you ask for that, you should be reasonably sure to get a Brochis rather than something else.

--
Mats
joern

Post by joern »

Hi,
Nik_Boyd wrote:I have just been down to check on him and hes not doing to well and is slumped on his side. Is there anything I can give him or I should be looking for.
they love worm-like food, e.g. tubifex and better red bloodworms. Try that.
Mine do not take any tablets or granulate foods...ask your dealer, what he gave him the last time. There are differences between individuals.
Mine also take frozen artemia or mysis,
and living daphnia and any thing else freshly caught pond food (?)

What about your brittlenose, did he attac the new guy ? My L135 don't like these large "cory's"...they probably know it's a hard food concurance... :D

Temp. should not be to high...23 - 25°C should be o.k.

Although it's just a picture of his head, on first view, he does not look to bad...
best regards
Joern
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

he's still not doing very much, just sits on the bottom and looks kinda unstable, water current seems to move him very easily. he is breathing and looking around though, but I'm not sure if he's breathing a little hard. does he need a high level of dissolved oxygen? I think the Co2 might have been running too high, so have disabled it, although I haven't noticed a changed in any of the other fish. his tail looks a little ragged a the back, maybe a mild case of finrot? Does finrot really affect how fish feel, and can it cause them to become lethargic?

The male BN completely ignored him when put in the tank, as he does with everything else (incluing the female BN).

tank temp is 25 deg C.

pic of his body and tail

any more advice welcome :)

Nik.
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Most B. multiradiatus arrive with a worn or damaged caudal fin, the new growth is always reddish coloured and it takes a couple of years to fully recover to it full size and colour

Ian
joern

Post by joern »

Hi,
Nik_Boyd wrote:he's still not doing very much, just sits on the bottom and looks kinda unstable...
They don't like swimming alone....And he is new, everything is new for him in your tank..give him some time to feel home. A few friends would help him.... :D

He (she ?) is in good shape, i think. I wouldn't care about the fins...could have a little more food...overall, he is o.k.

He has a "golden line" on "top" of his body parallel to the doral fin ? that's a good sign....you can see mine in the cat elog, last picture (sorry, it's a bit too pink..) http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ca ... /165_f.php

Fine sand instead of gravel would be better too for him. Start with a few friends and take care, that he eats enough.
They aren't too difficult ... just large !
Good luke !
best regards
Joern
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

I checked him this morning and he had died :( I dont know why there are no marks and no visible illness. I am taking him to the lfs and they will have a look at him for me. Just got a new trigon 350 and will be getting about 5 of them once the tank is ready and I will be using sand in that tank as it will be mainly catfish.

Will let you know what was wrong thanks for the help Nik
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
chrisinha
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: brooklyn, ny
Interests: animals, music, photography

Post by chrisinha »

im so sorry for your loss :(
~christie~
Nik_Boyd

Post by Nik_Boyd »

We took him back to the lfs and there was no illness but we did realsie afterwards that he had been kept in a tank with discus at the lfs and so he was use to a pH much lower than what was the recomended pH. We got 4 new corys and 2 baby cat fish can't remember the names but they eat everything that a BN catfish wont so the tank should be kept nice and clean.
Nik
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus