can you ID this ancistrus sp. ?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Kimrin
Location 1: Minnesota, USA

can you ID this ancistrus sp. ?

Post by Kimrin »

the pic isn't great quality, I can try others if you need.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Look similar with the species link given by HH!
Do you know the country they were imported form, Peru?
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Kimrin

Post by Kimrin »

yes! Silurus, that's exactly what she looks like. I say she because still no bristles and I've had her for 8 months. Also hasn't put on much length, she's only about 2.75 TL. Has a nice solid build though, she isn't skinny.
I like her, much prettier then the usual commons.

I just picked her out of an ordinary store tank labeled as bristlenoses. This one seemed a bit different, lighter in color. Haven't the slightest idea where they came from originally.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Kimrin wrote:yes! Silurus, that's exactly what she looks like. I say she because still no bristles and I've had her for 8 months. Also hasn't put on much length, she's only about 2.75 TL. Has a nice solid build though, she isn't skinny.
I like her, much prettier then the usual commons.

I just picked her out of an ordinary store tank labeled as bristlenoses. This one seemed a bit different, lighter in color. Haven't the slightest idea where they came from originally.
I can't see the picture, but at 2.75" total length, a male should start showing bristles, so I think you're right that it's a female. The fact that she's "nice solid build" is also an indication that it's a female, as they tend to be a little bit fatter than the males, particularly if she's gravid (carrying eggs).

Most of the "common" ancistrus are tank-bred, so it's likely that some breeder in the area is where it "came from", rather than a river in South America, which is where they live in the wild.

--
Mats
Kimrin

Post by Kimrin »

I'm sure you're right Matt.
Most tank bred commons are "mutts" aren't they? So likely she is too and she's just a throw back to to some ancestor that looked like her?

I'm not sure what happened to the pic but she looks just like the one Silurus linked to.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Kimrin wrote:I'm sure you're right Matt.
Most tank bred commons are "mutts" aren't they? So likely she is too and she's just a throw back to to some ancestor that looked like her?
If by "mutts" you mean hybrids created by the mother and father being of different speceis, yes there is a possibility of this. We've had a few debates on whether this is a likely or unlikely scenario, and no-one can really say for sure. Since the most common isn't a scientifically described specie (or at least, no-one is able to point to a document that clearly describes the specie listed in the cat-elog as A. sp(3)), it's probably going to take a while before this is clarified.

However, if we follow the hypothese that the A. sp(3) is a hybrid, then there would be variable looking off-spring.

Obviously, there's also the possibility that your fish is really just a colour variant of the same specie that everyone has been breeding in their tank for several years now. Or that it was wild-caught and is a different specie than the tank-bred varieties.

--
Mats
Kimrin

Post by Kimrin »

hmm, forgive my ignorance on the subject Mats.

By mutts I did mean a strain created by hybridizing initially. That's what I thought the commons (sp.3) was.
If that's debatable then, is what you're saying that some believe it is a pure strain and no-one just happens to have found any wilds to prove it?

I didn't mean to imply they aren't pretty either ;). I'm just biased towards my little pretty. :)
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Kimrin wrote:hmm, forgive my ignorance on the subject Mats.

By mutts I did mean a strain created by hybridizing initially. That's what I thought the commons (sp.3) was.
If that's debatable then, is what you're saying that some believe it is a pure strain and no-one just happens to have found any wilds to prove it?

I didn't mean to imply they aren't pretty either ;). I'm just biased towards my little pretty. :)
We're all ignorant about something, not a problem.

As of right now, no-one knows whether sp. 3 is a hybrid or a wild variety that hasn't been properly identified. It may even be that it's been caught and identified, but because there are quite a few Ancistrus species with a brown body with lighter spots, it's been then mixed up with another specie, and the two got lumped together by the original identifier, and we now use the name for one specie, but sp. 3 is not a correct match.

It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between different variations of the same fish and two different species. So it may be that we've HAD an identified specie, but it's got lost...

And of course, there's still the possibility that all the tank bred ones are hybrids from mixed species, but it's a bit surprising that they look so similar between ones bred in Sweden and ones bred in the UK for instance, if they are hybrids you'd think that they'd vary a bit more.

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for someone to identify the correct species and/or do some genetic analyzis and see what they are.

I'm getting more confused the more I think about it, so don't worry if you can't follow my ramblings above... ;-)

--
Mats

Return to “What is my catfish?”