Catfish Youth

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Catfish Youth

Post by Birger »

I have been noticing there are a few younger people posting greetings and looking for imformation, it is great they can feel welcome and to see the response of people trying to help them.

Thinking of myself at the age of ten(34 years ago.I had no internet and it seemed like nobody to talk to about my hobby.I wqould go to the library take out aquarium books and have my family test me on the different fish. I mail ordered the Tetra Digest magazine and treasured every issue(I have every one). Even managed to have the odd fish breed as I am still doing today.I am not that old :wink: but have seen such a change in the hobby.

My point is, it is great to see these kids having the opportunities and imformation available to them and feel it is important to help them when we can and hope some of them carry on as hobbyists or with careers in the sciences.

Birger
Sandtiger
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NY

Post by Sandtiger »

Well put. I am pretty young still myself (21 y/o) but am happy to see so many young people getting into something like this, I find that to many young people don't have any intense hobbys or interests. I am the only person in my family and circle of friends that has a die hard interest in fish and fishkeeping, lucky for me I can talk to others in the forums. Gotta love the internet....sometimes.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Have you noticed they're here on the weekends? During the week, time to do the homework! :lol:
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

tell me am i still considered young at 24 or am i old??? :D

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

You're a fry, next to me, kiddo! :lol:
bunjiweb
Location 1: Cheltenham, ENG

Post by bunjiweb »

Im 19, 20 in June... Been interested in Catfish for at least a year and a half if not 2 years now..... does that make me Catfish Youth?

Ben :P
>> http://www.coral-frags.co.uk <<
Feel free to visit me at The Pets At Home Cheltenham Aquatic Centre, Gloucestershire, England
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Its all a matter of perspective. I am only 29 which is not that much older but have kept fish for 22 years and have had more than 5 tanks over 75% of my life, currently 23 of them, and my first catfish spawn of cory aeneus was at age 12 with my latest success L134. I travel all over the country to various fish conventions and I am easily one of the youngest people there and many of them have many more tanks than I. I would have to say you are a catfish youth, you still have much to learn as well as I.
bunjiweb
Location 1: Cheltenham, ENG

Post by bunjiweb »

Well i have my eye on various things to increase my catfish keeping potential.

A) I am looking into a 6x2x2ft tank to replace my 60Gallon "catfish tank"
B) I am thinking about buying up to 6 x 20Gallon tanks for breeding plecs and other small catfish
C)My first house WILL have a "fish room"...

Ben
>> http://www.coral-frags.co.uk <<
Feel free to visit me at The Pets At Home Cheltenham Aquatic Centre, Gloucestershire, England
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

i am 13 and wll have had my tank for 1 year this Friday.I am certainly one of the younger users of this site and i would like to point out that this website is a wealth of information, so im gonna milk it 4 all its worth!!!!!
the pictus section iz the most use 4 me as i have 2 and when i hope 2 get a new tank im gonna get more :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, I'm 33. I think I used to belong to catfish youth; I started a fish club at high school and we had nearly 20 tanks in an otherwise unused corner of the drama dept.

One of the reasons I started planetcatfish (aged 25) was that I didn't have an outlet for my catfish interest - I guess it snowballed!

Jools
Nik_Boyd
Location 1: Cheshire

Post by Nik_Boyd »

I'm 21, not been into catfish that long, not kept a tropical tank for that long (about a month) but found even before I got it that this site, and especially the forums contain a wealth of knowledge.

I'm a member of several similar forums, but Planet Catfish seems to have the edge. I don't know if its through dedication of memebers, of just through having people with lots of good advice.

Keep up the great work all!

Nik
Juwel Rio 180, approx. 48 US Gallon
Eheim 2128 Thermo Filter
JBL pro 2 Co2 system

Pinky the Apple Snail
11 Cardinal Tetras
10 Harlequins
2 Bristlenose Cats, 1 male, 1 female
1 Male Crowntail Betta
2 Botia Angelicus
4 Corys, 2 Speckled and 2 Albino
2 as yet unidentified catfish
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I just turned the big 40. zzz
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

join the club!
I did last october.
:roll:

doesn't keep me from behaving immature or making piles of stupid mistakes, though; so you'll be warned
:wink:
Valar Morghulis
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

It's odd, Sid. I get more immature as I get older.... :twisted:
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

doesn't keep me from behaving immature or making piles of stupid mistakes, though
:ohyeah:

4 more days and I am 45 :foggie:
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I see you can't spell either. I was about 18 when I made a concerted effort by doing the NY Times crossword puzzle. Now everybody types so quickly with their instant messaging, nobody notices poor spelling. Only proper spelling is noticed. :?

Happy Birthday, Medaka. :headbang: Odd how they creep up on you and just become "another day." :lol:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Bronzefry wrote:I just turned the big 40. zzz
So did I, a couple of months later than Sid.

Got that "more immature" attitude too. I think it's a case of when you grow up, you need to act more mature to impress on other people (well, sometimes at least). Once you get to 35-40, you don't have that pressure... That's my excuse anyways... ;-)

I started with a few fish some 30 or so years ago... Got some guppies of one of the neighbours, bought a tank to keep them. When I moved to England at about 30, I left my 160 ltr tank in Sweden. Thanks to my fiancee who bought a small plastic tub and a couple of goldfish about two years ago, it started up again... In those two years, the plastic tub is gone, and we now have two small, one medium and one large aquariums, plus two baby nets, with in total over 100 fish (most of which are babies).

Always liked the catfish's, particularly the Loricaridae, ever since I got "Algot", which was a "Common pleco" (Probably Hypostomus Plecostomus) some 20 odd years ago. I spent quite a lot of time watching that fish in the "Night light" on the tank.

--
Mats
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I imagine those nightlights will come in very handy as "old age" insomnia sets in. :shock: I love the nightlights. I wonder if the fish do.....
FishFin23
Location 1: North Carolina, USA

Post by FishFin23 »

It's refreshing to see people my age interested in the same kind of fish I am (I'm 21). I came here because none of my friends have any idea what to say when I get really excited about that new cory shipment at the fish shop. Nice to know I'm not the only who went crazy at an early age.

Return to “Speak Easy”